new from san diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leoffensive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone name's Leo.

just getting back into fish keeping. id consider myself a beginner but have some knowledge about fish and the types like not mixing african and american cichs and so forth.

have had fish since i was little(25 years old now) but it was usually just my dad doin all the work and letting me feed em.

he recently had a massive die off due to a filter malfunction and him forgetting to condition the new water put into the tank.

only thing that survived was a pleco.

now he has africans and wants to remove the scratches from his 120 acrylic tank.

got on craigslist and I bought an acrylic 55 gallon(for temporary use to sell later) to hold his fish while he does that. started building up the 55 and im getting attached and dont wanna sell it later. especially since ive paid for everything.

bought the tank for 60 bucks and it came with an open stand. my dad tinkers with wood and made doors for the stand so its like a cabinet now and he just made a hood canopy today.

so far ive bought silica sand for substrate and a sunsun HW-303b canister filter for it. i have another thread on ideas for filter media

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/sunsun-hw-303b-tray-question-268694.html#post2546939

still need to figure out what to do for light and will probably but a hob filter like an aquaclear 70 or 110 or something for extra insurance later down the road

also interested in bubbles. not sure on the consensus. i like the aesthetics of fine bubbles. more insight on this would be appreciated.

as of now i have about maybe 170 bucks invested into what i have right now

also not sure what ill put in the tank after hes done using it to hold his fish.

i like catfish a lot. im open for ideas on what to put in the tank. preferably smaller catfish like corys and pictus so i can have a larger community. LOVE the white tips but i hear they get really big.

anywho im lost so ill just post a pic of the tank.

waiting for the sunsun filter in the mail.

here it is just about ready for paint.

Attachments

• 55 ready for paint.jpg
    55 ready for paint.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 55
welcome to the forum! looks like its coming together well! i know petco/petsmart have microbubble airstones i have one and also enjoy it. that tank would make a great community with cory cats you can mix different kinds and they will shoal together. i cant believe you got an acrylic tank that cheap!

Here is a set up idea

6 cories
4 glass cats
6 debauwi cats
1 pleco
4 upside down cats
That's what I would do let me know why you think :)
Freshwater_King

welcome to the forum! looks like its coming together well! i know petco/petsmart have microbubble airstones i have one and also enjoy it. that tank would make a great community with cory cats you can mix different kinds and they will shoal together. i cant believe you got an acrylic tank that cheap!

gotta love craigslist man. the 120 my dad has was purchased as an emergency cause he used to have a 130 glass that started leaking really bad and he found the 120 with the nice cabinet stand and canopy and a fluval 405 for 300 bucks.

they pop up on CL for rock bottom prices you just gotta look all the time.

Here is a set up idea

6 cories
4 glass cats
6 debauwi cats
1 pleco
4 upside down cats
That's what I would do let me know why you think :)
Freshwater_King

never heard of the debauwi but looked em they are pretty cool. i may definitely get some pictus since weve had them in the past and are fun to watch.

how are the glass cats? never had em before

glass cats are really cool sometimes they are sensitive they need to be kept in groups and they do better when there is a powerhead in the tank because they love the flow

Yeah I agree with him they like groups but one thing I noticed with mine I had for a little while before retiring them ( long story ) was they don't eat as mush they don't haw a hue appetite and I have never had a pictus cat so idk hahaj

i purchased the 2 pack fans from amazon for my dads tank i may take one for this tank

Back
Top Bottom