New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickStyx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, I'm new here as I am a beginner with my aquarium. I have a 6 gallon "plasma" tank that hangs on the wall. I know it may be viewed as an outcast aquarium but I do enjoy it despite its shortcomings. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Welcome! There is no such thing as an outcast aquarium. If it holds water and fish it is an aquarium. Although I am sure before too long you will want a bigger tank...and then a bigger tank...and then a salt water tank...and then a small ocean lol. At least, that is how it went for me.

welcome to AA. snailpowered there is when in most cases its more harmful to the fish then not.

Ok, I didn't think of that. But I think that just because it is a hang on the wall aquarium doesn't necessarily make it an outcast tank.

Welcome.

SnailPowered, generally the tanks you can hang on the wall are very thin, which doesn't give the fish much room to swim. That's why they're "outcast" aquariums. They can work for small fish, but they're not ideal. Everyone has to start somewhere though.

Here are a couple of pictures of my tank. This is when I first set it up before I added fish.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Welcome to AA! That's some crazy tank... this may be a dumb question but where does the filter and heater and everything go? how do you do maintenance on this tank? do you need a ladder? seems like it would be a pain!

Everything is built in to the bottom of it while the top has a basic catch sponge and drip tray. It weighs about 75 pounds when full. The top opens up but its a narrow opening so cleaning is not super easy. But being such a small amount of water, it doesn't take too long to clean it thoroughly.

I wonder if you could do some low light planting and some DW in there. I like it. You can't have anything that gets very big but for some tetras that would be an awesome tank I would think!

MTS (the syndrome not the snail) may be not quite right. I always want a bigger tank so I guess I have BTS lol.

Welcome to AA, that is indeed an interesting tank. Is that real/fake plants in there or is it just the background? What are the dimensions of it? I really like the tanks that go in the wall but I sure do agree that most fish need more room to swim.

+1 on the MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) It hits you real fast! I joined here about a month ago with a 10 gallon tank and I already have two more lol

Back
Top Bottom