New guy. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPXnoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a novice more or less, had tanks growing up and now have my own in my room. I'm exploring the ideas of getting larger, more elaborate tanks in the near future and am looking to build up as much knowledge as possible.

My current tanks:
3X 1 gallon with a betta of varying varieties. ( 1 white opaque marbled half moon, 1 blue and orange half moon,and 1 white bodied, red tailed crowntail.)
1X 10 gallon with 4 guppies, 1 mini crab, and 1 black bodied, red tailed crowntail.

LPXnoob said:
I'm a novice more or less, had tanks growing up and now have my own in my room. I'm exploring the ideas of getting larger, more elaborate tanks in the near future and am looking to build up as much knowledge as possible.

My current tanks:
3X 1 gallon with a betta of varying varieties. ( 1 white opaque marbled half moon, 1 blue and orange half moon,and 1 white bodied, red tailed crowntail.)
1X 10 gallon with 4 guppies, 1 mini crab, and 1 black bodied, red tailed crowntail.

:welcome: to AA! :)

Wait all those bettas are in a one gallon tank? Or am I reading that wrong?

You've made a great find in this site. I'm sure you'll figure out very soon what a wonderful community of people are here who are all more than happy to help you with anything they can.
I can't even tell you how much I've learned already (I'm also a newbie)
Welcome :)

Hi i have been keeping all sorts of small fish for years and I was thinking of getting a discus so far I have a black ghost knife ,pleco ,cory x2 ,mickey mouse fish x3 dwarf gourami , rams x2 , hatchet fish x2 a large angel and. A male and female betta pair and I was wondering is it safe to keep my betta pair in with this lot ( 5ft tank)????

No. Each of my bettas has a 1 gallon tank to himself besides my favorite who is in the 10 gallon. I thought of experimenting with putting my 2 super mellow ones into the 10 gallon together but decided it's against their nature to coexist. I've heard of 2 males being safely housed together but I'm personally not going to try it. Some of the breeders I've spoken with have told me of keeping a pair but I have even had bad luck keeping a m/f pair together.

No. Each of my bettas has a 1 gallon tank to himself besides my favorite who is in the 10 gallon. I thought of experimenting with putting my 2 super mellow ones into the 10 gallon together but decided it's against their nature to coexist. I've heard of 2 males being safely housed together but I'm personally not going to try it. Some of the breeders I've spoken with have told me of keeping a pair but I have even had bad luck keeping a m/f pair together.

Ah okay, knew I was reading the desctription wrong! :)

Males safely coexisting would have to be a really big and really heavily planted tank breaking all lines of sight, which would look more like an overgrown jungle than a tank.

Pairs are also hits and misses I've heard as well. Good luck if you try to do any betta combos! (y)

I don't plan on it. Lol. Unless i ever luck into a proven pair of black orchid crowntails. :) and then I'm gonna milk them for all they are worth. That is my dream betta. Black orchid crowntail with extra long finnage.

LPXnoob said:
I don't plan on it. Lol. Unless i ever luck into a proven pair of black orchid crowntails. :) and then I'm gonna milk them for all they are worth. That is my dream betta. Black orchid crowntail with extra long finnage.

Don't we all have our dream bettas? :) I dream of a pair of that one orange and black betta I saw at the LFS with a blue and yellow female. I'd be lucky if I ever found them both in the same store! :)

I've never seen, nor heard of a blue/yellow. Lol. I'm more into the black, white, or bronzes personally. I've lucked into all mine at my local petsmart. We don't have a LFS anywhere within 30 miles so I just check my petsmart every Tuesday (shipment day) to see what they have got in. Lately all they have had are dragon scaled plakats and I'm very non partial to them. Plakats are very bland IMO. And the dragon scales look like the are just mutants, and not in a good way. Lol

welcome to AA:) your bettas that are in the 1 gallons should each get a five all to them selves. the mini crab,assuming it is a fiddler crab(what my petsmart used to call mini crabs),needs brackish water and land access

He has lots of air access via pertruding high driftwood. And I don't think I could make that tank brackish just because of my betta. I know the guppies can tolerate semi saline water.

He has lots of air access via pertruding high driftwood. And I don't think I could make that tank brackish just because of my betta. I know the guppies can tolerate semi saline water.
it should be more like a beach for him,you really should either get him his own tank(with a couple friends if possible) and make it brackish

Random idea. I could get a floating platform and fix it between 2 pieces of DW and turn the tank brackish. Any advice on brackish selection? I've never done anything other than FW fish.

Back
Top Bottom