New guy and New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaTree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, i have been searching the internet for weeks for answers to a lot of my questions and then i stumbled onto this site, it is loaded with good information and it seems as the community of people are very nice and full of information they want to share to new comers. I hope to find out a lot here and my first question is, for a 5gallon and 10gallon tank what is the max number of small/medium fish for each tank? my Daughters 5gallon tank has a total of 14small fish and 4 snails, and my 10gallon has a total of 7 medium sized fish.

JoshuaTree said:
Hey everyone, i have been searching the internet for weeks for answers to a lot of my questions and then i stumbled onto this site, it is loaded with good information and it seems as the community of people are very nice and full of information they want to share to new comers. I hope to find out a lot here and my first question is, for a 5gallon and 10gallon tank what is the max number of small/medium fish for each tank? my Daughters 5gallon tank has a total of 14small fish and 4 snails, and my 10gallon has a total of 7 medium sized fish.

Welcome to AA glad you joined :) what kind of fish are in these tanks?? For that 5Gallon tank IMO it is way over stocked but still kinda depends on fish. Your 10G could be just not as bad as 5G. For 10G you could probably have 1-6 maybe more fish it jut depends on the fish. The 5G not as many 1-3 fish I don't know you could have shrimp tank or betta but I don't know.

Yes your daughters tank SHOULD NOT have 7 neons. Your 10 gallon is just as bad because 3 angelfish need a 40-50 gallon tank, not a 10. Angelfish get massive, and neons need lots of swimming room...

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes your daughters tank SHOULD NOT have 7 neons. Your 10 gallon is just as bad because 3 angelfish need a 40-50 gallon tank, not a 10. Angelfish get massive, and neons need lots of swimming room...

Wondering where you found out the info then checked on his profile! Yes I agree with angelfish and stuff above :D ^

Thanks you guys for the info, i figured as much for the 5gallon is over populated. The 5gal has 7neons, 5Glofish, 2Fantail guppies and 4 nickel sized snails. I have an extra 5 gallon tank just no heater or lid. As for the Angelfish in the 10gal will they be okay until i can save up enough to buy a bigger tank?? They are my favorite along with my 2 Creamcicle Lyretails!! Basically will my fish be ok if i keep up with cleaning the 2 tanks until i am able to buy atleast a 20-30gallong tank? a 40gal tank is a little out of budget right now.

Ya i know what you mean, i the angels are small then you can get by for a little while, but there could be agression. Buyfrom craigslist, or some other place to get used tanks there are great deals. Then your daughters fish can go in the 10 gallon and they would be ok

Thanks for your help guys, made my first day on the site pretty welcoming!! I have a few questions about my Creamcicle Lyretail mollies, they have been chasing eachother for the past 2 weeks 1Male and 1Female the male been chasing the female and looks like he nipping at her anal fin! anything to worry about or is this normal?

JoshuaTree said:
Thanks for your help guys, made my first day on the site pretty welcoming!! I have a few questions about my Creamcicle Lyretail mollies, they have been chasing eachother for the past 2 weeks 1Male and 1Female the male been chasing the female and looks like he nipping at her anal fin! anything to worry about or is this normal?

Hi!
Normally to stop this another female is added to divert the males attention. In this case it simply is not possible. You will need to keep a close eye on them and if he gets too much for her you will need to separate them.
Are these tanks cycled?
The sooner you can get them all in larger tanks the better. As said try looking on Craig's list and eBay for second hand tanks.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this. ^^^

Thank you so much Mumma.Of.Two that link has helped me out so much, unfortunately it will be roughly a month before i can find enough cash to be able to buy one even off of eBay or craigslist, but thank you everyone for your advice! ill post more soon hopefully you guys are fantastic!!

Back
Top Bottom