New guy from Maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MD John

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been keeping fish most of my life. I currently have all fresh water. I have three tanks up and running. A 29 with 5 angel fish, all saved from a Walmart. I had an empty 20 deep wait for some mail order black banded sunfish to pan out. When they didn’t, I bought a young tiger Oscar on a whim. I haven’t had a Oscar in over 30 years. I know, the tank is too small. He has a ton of room, for now. The black banded’s are actually happening. I should have 4 this time next week. They have to go in a 10 gallon now. I’ve wanted black banded sunfish since I was a teenager and have only seen them in public aquarium.
Well, that’s me.

Well hello and welcome to the community!!!

Are the Black Banded Sunfish tank bred / raised? Sunfish are really neat little fish!

An Oscar! They are really nice looking fish, and can have such a big personality!

Congrats on helping out some of the fish which need a caring home.

The blackbanded’s were wild caught, I believe. But and issue came up with them. So, I’m getting captive bred blue spotted sunfish. Not giving up on the blackbanded’s, yet. I will eventually get some.
The Oscar was a impulse buy. I haven’t kept them for years. It looked neglected at the pet store.

The blackbanded’s were wild caught, I believe. But and issue came up with them. So, I’m getting captive bred blue spotted sunfish. Not giving up on the blackbanded’s, yet. I will eventually get some.
The Oscar was a impulse buy. I haven’t kept them for years. It looked neglected at the pet store.

Blue Spotted Sunfish are sweet little fish! Can't wait to see the tank and fish. Hope they work out. My eye has been on the Pygmy Sunfish but Not enough time and room for more fish tanks for me right now! It will have to suffice with other's awesome fish!

I just received 7 blue spotted sunfish today. Never got fish in the mail before. Acclimating them now. Very tiny guys.

Ooooh, exciting. I hope all goes well! It is surprising they can do alright! Youngish ones are usually more easily adaptable to changes and stresses.

c2zM61a

https://imgur.com/c2zM61a

Awww!

It really did happen, lol. Lil cuties.

Well how are they behaving in their new environment?

Did they all make the initial acclimation???

Oh hi! Another Maryland-er!

Oscars are such primadonnas in my experience, lol. Need to be in charge of everything. Those are cute little sunnies! I hope they grow nice and beautiful for you!

All seven acclimated well. I have two blackbanded sunfish with me now. Picked them up in southern Maryland and had to stop at my Wife’s job in Baltimore. Their similar to exact size as the others. They supposed to be 100% compatible. Pics once they get acclimated.
I haven’t had an Oscar since the 80’s. This guy is cool and growing. But that tank was meant for the sunfish. I got tired of seeing it empty. Now it’s raining sunfish!

Saw some advertised on ebay, 19.99 plus shipping, check the ratings though, I have never used them. Raising your own much more cost effective.

I’ve been trying to grow my own brine shrimp. They never seem to grow much and die out before long. Maybe the salinity is fluctuating.

Better news. The blackbanded’s seem to be taking to frozen brine shrimp. They have to look like shrimp and be sinking. They won’t eat off the bottom. All seven blue spotted will eat off the bottom. And are almost twice as fast at the blackbanded’s.

Back
Top Bottom