New guy here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanberry19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! Thanks for letting me join and im eager to learn and relearn freshwater aquariums...
Now, i say relearn cause 3 years ago i had a 85 gal freshwater tank w/ a variety of fish and a 25 gal freshwater tank w/ a red ear slider that i loved but sold when i joined the US Army.
I have been Active Duty for a lil over 3 years. I am stationed at Fort Hood in Texas.. I joined as a 19k( M1 abrams tank crewmember), but i reclassed to 19D(Cavalry scout) while i was in Iraq. ( 08/10-08/11)...Hence the 19 at the end of my name...
I'm not looking for any sympathy but im getting back into aquariums to deal with my PTSD from being blown up by an ied in babil province, iraq...it really relaxes me...
I just recently found a free 35 gal hexagon tank and also bought a ready to go used 29 gal tank also from craigslist...i only have the 29 gal set up right now, but it is currently lifeless..

ForumRunner_20120825_191253.jpg

ForumRunner_20120825_191409.jpg

Thats my empty tank and the other pic is me and my fiance' before my squardon ball after my return from iraq...

If you have any recommendations for my tanks, advice, or wanna ask me a question, please hit me up...

Hanberry19

Welcome sir!! And thank you SO MUCH for your service to our country. We all love to help out new aquarists, this site is great for getting started.

So! What are your plans for this tank? I wish it were saltwater...:brows: :)

I would love a salt water tank but to me they are more time consuming and the ol army pretty much consumes most of my time...i'm not real sure which direction i wanna go...i love unique fish...my last tank had bala sharks, catfish, a eel, tetras and albino frogs....
I recently saw a blue crayfish i would love to have and some more sharks...but idk....
Im not looking for high maintance, but i want more of a challenge and look then goldfish lol...

Haha! My friend, the tetra species would suit you well. Colorful, hardy, active, and low maintainance!!

Also, look into kuhli loaches for the 29...cute LITTLE eels!! Hahah

Gboy66 said:
Haha! My friend, the tetra species would suit you well. Colorful, hardy, active, and low maintainance!!

I googled those and i would love those, but when i showed my fiance' she about ripped my nipple off lol..she's terrified of snakes and snake looking critters lol

Hanberry19 said:
I googled those and i would love those, but when i showed my fiance' she about ripped my nipple off lol..she's terrified of snakes and snake looking critters lol

Your nipple eh?? Ouch. Scratch that hahahah!!!

Look up cory cats. She'll love those!

Hanberry19 said:
That's cool..now finding it is the issue..i have seen the corys at my local petco...

Do you have any local, mom n pop type stores near you? Any of them should have all those fish

Gboy66 said:
Do you have any local, mom n pop type stores near you? Any of them should have all those fish

We have one, but my hours and there hours clash..i've been trying to get over there...but im sure they have em, if they are a normal find...

Welcome to AA!! Thank you for your service to this country!! One of my brothers and a best friend of mjne were in Iraq the first go-round in '90-'91. I heard a few tales, it's rough stuff.

But now on to this awesome hobby!!! Good luck with your FW tank, I have a 30gal FW and 55g SW tank, so hopefully I'll be able to help you some. But if I can't, there are so many helpful people around who will!! Liveaquaria.com has a FW fish section, so check that out I you haven't already!

Beengirl said:
Welcome to AA!! Thank you for your service to this country!! One of my brothers and a best friend of mjne were in Iraq the first go-round in '90-'91. I heard a few tales, it's rough stuff.

But now on to this awesome hobby!!! Good luck with your FW tank, I have a 30gal FW and 55g SW tank, so hopefully I'll be able to help you some. But if I can't, there are so many helpful people around who will!! Liveaquaria.com has a FW fish section, so check that out I you haven't already!

Hey, thanks for the link..that sites awesome..but i am a lil hesitant about purchasing fish online and having them shipped...should i be?? Or i am just being dumb??

Yeah, I don't buy online either. I just use it as an information site, then go to my LFS an buy what I want. Most LFS will order fish for you too if they don't have what you want.

Gboy66 said:

So, i googled the Kuhli loaches that my fiance' almost ripped and showed my daughter and needless to say im thinking im getting one...lol

Back
Top Bottom