New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sdimatties

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone! I've had fish for a long time, but I wouldn't consider myself anything but amateur. Most of the time I have goldfish, but I fell in love with my odessa barbs and had to have them. So now I'm here trying to see what will work and not work with them. We have a 20 gal tank I'm hoping to upgrade soon. And we have a few guppy/Molly hybrid I got from a friend since I had never seen anything like them before.

Welcome to AA!

Got any pics of the tank ;)
Is it a 20 long or high?
Welcome, glad to have you here!

I have tried to get pictures but they hide whenever they see the camera! And they are fast so I need to play with it some. I want to say its long but it has some height to it. I only have one plant but I don't know what to add.

Here are the pictures I could get. I got the male odessa and the guppy/mollies. What plants do I get? I've never done plants before and the store I went to doesn't sell them and said I'll go back to plastic, but I hate plastic.

Attachments

• image-2851047417.jpg
    image-2851047417.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1906380471.jpg
    image-1906380471.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-653355442.jpg
    image-653355442.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 71
Wow nice tank!

I really like the plant, seems to be a type of broad leaf amazon sword or some sort of Anubias, you could add some anacharis or an Anubias nana, and one or two Marimo moss balls!
Do you have a fert regimen?

Thanks! This is the first plant I ever bought for the tank. I don't know anything about it which is why it's still in the plastic tub. I've always had fake plants and cleaned them or changed with every water change. I plan on planting it with the next water change in a few days after the guppies get a little settled.

No should I? I noticed it hasn't grown in the month or so I've had it but didn't know where to start.

Yea you should, I didn't add them on my tank for about 3 months, and all the leaves started getting brown, but I would recommend finding what plant it is, I'll help you out, because if it is an amazon sword, it needs root tabs, and if it is an Anubias nana, it will need liquid ferts

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated. I'll find out and let you know. Now to talk me son out of his clown loach...

Thanks! Any help would be appreciated. I'll find out and let you know. Now to talk me son out of his clown loach...

Yeah not a good idea. They like company as well, and a couple clowns in a 20 is a no no. When they are young its ok but they get pretty large. I have two in my 40b but I plan on rehoming them soon, I want them to go to a good home and not back to the store

Wow yea, no clown loaches, at least a 100 gallon is recommended, you could try dwarf chain loaches or my favorite, kuhli loaches

I know. He wanted a "sucker fish" but I got cut by a pleco's fin before so I won't buy them. Oh, and my plant is a melon sword plant.

You got cut by a plecos fin before? That's pretty odd, may I suggest some if the smaller pleco varieties such as bulldog pleco, bristle nose pleco, clown pleco, golden nugget, rio negro pleco, or in case you have $500 bucks laying around, a zebra pleco lol
Ok if it is an amazon sword, then you need root tabs, I get mine at petsmart, 10 tablets for 10 dollars, and each tablet lasts me about 3 months so its a good deal, later on if you want to add other plants like Anubias nana( highly recommended) or anacharis, then you might want to add liquid ferts, but for now just root tabs

Stream loaches are cold water fish, not suitable for tropical temperatures, they do better with cold water fish such as goldfish and dojo loaches

Back
Top Bottom