New here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie Kindle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings.

My husband had purchased a small fish tank for me (about a 2 gallon tank) a couple of months ago. In it, we had 2 black skirt tetras, and one cory catfish. We lost 1 tetra due to fin rot, and recently purchased a 20 gallon fresh water fish tank for the remaining tetra and our little cory (we are going to slowly add more tetra and other compatible fish). Our surviving tetra had lost much of his tail, and after treating the tank with "Jungle" Fungus Clear, he seems to be doing better. Unfortunately, I did not know that cory catfish are sensitive to that medication, and, we lost him tonight...poor fishy. Broke my heart.

Anyways, we now have one lone fish in our tank, and we are going to continue to treat his condition, until we feel it is safe to add new fish friends.

This is not my first fish tank...I am a brain injury survivor, and before my accident, I had several tanks; a 45 gallon high cichlid tank, a 20 gallon with assorted fish such as tetras, neons, corys, a pleco, etc. and a 10 gallon tank that was predominantly fancy guppies.

I am aware that fish keeping is a learning process, and, mistakes are bound to happen, such as with my poor little catfish. While I am not exactly new to aquariums, it has been over 10 years since I have owned one...and, it seems that I am having to go through the process of learning all over again.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am on a fixed income, so, cannot afford to spend astronomical amounts of money.

My goal is to have a pretty, yet simple, tank of easy to care for (such as that goes) community fish to brighten up our home.

Blessings,
DK

Welcome.....

Personally, I would keep the tetra in the 2 gallon tank and medicate him. I wouldn't medicate a new tank for one fish when you have two tanks.

Fishless Cycle the 20 gallon tank using pure ammonia or fish food. Once it's cycled then move your Tetra over and your new fish. This will keep you from possibly dealing with more issues from adding fish to an uncycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom