New here and I need serious help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it's that time of year again, and stupidly I let my oldest daughter play the goldfish game at the fair. She won 1 and the girl decided that because I bought the tiny $5 container that she would give us all of the fish in that container. Now I have 8 goldfish. I can't get a tank until at least Tuesday.
I am not new to fish but I haven't had them in 12years when I had to give up my tanks when I moved. I have a small house and very small budget. I found a 37 gallon starter tank on sale at petsmart and with a few extra tweaks, I figure I can have a decent set up for around $250.00
Here is the problem the fish are here 2 in the ultra mini tank that is better suited to a betta and the other 6 in a large mixing bowl. I am doing daily water changes and sometimes more than that. I need to get these fish in to the tank asap once I get it set up. I don't have time to cycle it. I know I am going to hear that I need more tank for them but I have no more room, no more space, and no more money for anything bigger. So how do I cycle this thing fast with goldfish in it?
I was hoping that a few would die I know that sounds bad. But they all seem very healthy and I can't not take care of them to the best of my ablities. Dang 8 goldfish... Couldn't have found a dirtier fish if I tried.

Welcome to AA!
Sounds like your in a real pickle! I would rehome them or sell them to petsmart, depending on what type of goldfish they are, three can barely make it in a 37 gallon with heavenly water changes, you need a 90 gallon for 8 fancies and 500+ if they are commons/ commets
Add tetra safe start, it cycled my tank in a week
Good luck

LOL I was starting to think about an oscar! They are common feeder fish and my kids have them all named or I would have no problem giving them up. I haven't had goldfish since I was a kid myself other than as feeders for my oscars!

I am assuming OP doesn't want to just give them away because the daughter will be upset.

At this point though it may be better to rehome. They usually always give away commons. Maybe try to give them away on here if you know how to ship fish, or give them to LFS. At least most of them. Keep a couple at most but they will eventually outgrow the tank.

in the mean time go buy a small kiddie pool fill it up and put declorinator in it let it set over night.

I am still stuck with the 37. The space I have is limited I ran through again and the space I have is 30x20 and with the odd dimenisions of this 37 gal beinging 30W x 12L x 22H is the only reason I can go that big. Well I guess I got excited for nothing.

As bob said go find a kiddy pool on CL for free or cheap and throw them in there after using dechlorinator!

Back
Top Bottom