New here....but not to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ready2Play

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Figured I would jump on board here for some refreshers. It has been a bit since I had a full saltwater setup, and may need some pointers on things I may have forgotten, or that I am altogether new to.

I had a 35 gallon reef tank for 3 years while I was stationed in Germany, and couldn't take it with me....then a few years with no tank, then got a jellyfish tank set up last year. Had a couple pitfalls in that one (such as emerald crabs eating my jellies,) but have learned what not to do next time haha.

Just picked up my new 54 gallon tank today...well, used, but new to me. One thing I may need support on is running the sump as the filtration....that is what it came with, and I have always used canister filtering. The sump thing is new to me....and I don't even know how to hook this stuff up lol.

Anyways...that is my tank stuff....the me stuff now. My name is Pete....30 years old, ex military, live outside of Atlanta, and I am ready to make my move back into the hobby!

Welcome to AA! I would love to see pics of the jellyfish! Hope you like the site so far!

Thanks guys....posting my first questions in another thread in a bit.

But here are some pics for you. Mind you, the tank is no longer like this. It was doing well, and was starting to get some nice Coralline patches before my shrimp and crabs went bananas and started chomping away at my jellies. I even had some other jellies developing at one point (comb jellies). Since the whole concept of jellyfish aquariums is still somewhat new, I was testing the waters so to speak. I updated the lighting, added moonlights, and a small nano skimmer since I did put an extra bio-load in the tank. All the remaining tankmates will be transferred to the new reef tank I will be starting the build on, and will revert this tank back to just snails and jellies....

words of warning, emerald crabs, hermit crabs, and peppermint shrimp WILL EAT jellies for anyone wondering. I thought the shrimp were just trying to clean them, and then I saw them rip a chunk....took them out immediately. Then, caught the crabs eating the remains of one one night. The ghost shrimp do fine, as do the ocellaris, snails, feather duster, serpent star, condy, and even green and gold/black chromis. Also found out that the jellies would get really active after a meal of live mysis or live pods. They seem to like that a lot better than the frozen stuff that jellyfishart sells.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG1756.jpg
    IMAG1756.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 66
more...

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 64
Feed what? the jellies? They have a frozen food blend that you can order that is a mix of all sorts of vitamins, planktons, brine shrimp etc...but they definitely seem to do better with live mysis shrimp, live brine shrimp, fresh phytoplankton, and pods...they seem to hold onto their meals better as well.

not really....these moons can't really sting humans unless you have thin skin haha...but either way, that is why I put a cleanup crew in. other than that, I actually used bristle worms and just general vaccuming to do most cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom