New here, new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbadburnsy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. My name is Alex. I am brand new to this site and pretty new to the aquarium world. I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that has been up and running for about 6 months since i upgraded from a 20 gal. I am running a Marineland emporer 400 HOB and a Fluval 306 for filtration. I have a 10-12 inch tiger oscar (bubba), an 8 inch red devil, an 8 inch polystigma, a 4 inch yellow lab, a 4 inch african leaf fish, a 5 inch raphael catfish and a 12 inch pleco. Until earlier today i also had a frontosa but when i did a water change and left to but new filter media I came home and it had died :nono: my nitrates have been off the charts for months now and i have started doing regular 50% water changes but it doesnt seem to help much. My pH is also chronically low and I have recently added crushed coral to help. Guy at my local fish store told me to 86 the canister and get another HOB to help with nitrates. Any help/opinions?

Welcome to the AA community

I'm not gonna hammer you as your new. In my strong opinion your overstocked and I wouldn't get rid of your canister.

I would post more questions I'm the Cichlid section and post up some pics also.

Oscars usually need alone a 75 gallon. You have a lot of fish in that tank.

I would guess and say that's why your NitrAtes are so high, you have one heck of a bio load there. You should think of re homing some if not all.

Last edited:
Welcome! Yeah I have to agree with what convict said and would seriously take the advice. Glad to have you!

Back
Top Bottom