New here! Plz help me pick fish! 30liter tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharnee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! My name is Sharnee and im from Perth, Western Australia.
I had a tank a few years ago but didnt know much, worked out well but ended up having to get rid of everything due to a new rental i had to move to.

Anyway, i have a little 30litre (Aqua Care E380 30Lt) tank on layby and currently thinking about what kind of fish i would like to keep and plants!

I cant make my mind up on what i would like. I know i want some easy live plants. I wanted a Khuli Loach but i think maybe my tank is too small? Not sure.

Recommendations and or tips would be greatly appreciated! :fish2:

I havent got my tank set up at the moment, im a big softy and easily fall in love so i need to be careful and know what i want to buy before going fish shopping :lol:

You can always do a nice planted tank with a Betta since its a small tank? Or a few guppies or tetras? I have a bunch of bleeding hearts that are really cool, I also have one kuhli loach and he's doing just fine by himself although I will probably get a couple more for him to hang with. I have an empty ten gallon that I was thinking just plants and one Beta

How do you plan on cycling your tank?

I didnt know there was different ways? Thought id just set all the substrate, add couple plants and some rocks then let it be for a couple weeks...? :lol:

What do you recommend? :)

Do you think a Khuli Loach would be ok in my 30litre, a belta and maybe some tetra or would that be too much? or maybe a bristlenose as well.. or would a bristlenose and khuli clash since its a small tank? Hmmm

Hard to imagine when i dont have it set up infront of me..

I didnt know there was different ways? Thought id just set all the substrate, add couple plants and some rocks then let it be for a couple weeks...?[emoji38]

Do you think a Khuli Loach would be ok in my 30litre, a belta and maybe some tetra or would that be too much? or maybe a bristlenose as well.. or would a bristlenose and khuli clash since its a small tank? Hmmm

Hey since it's a 30L my fellow Aussie you could try to go for a colony of cherry shrimp and a bunch of tetras.

I didnt know there was different ways? Thought id just set all the substrate, add couple plants and some rocks then let it be for a couple weeks...? :lol:

There is the traditional fish-in cycle and a fish-less cycle. Both have their pros and cons (subjective). I prefer fish-less.
Setting up the tank and letting it run for a few days/weeks will accomplish nothing. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. There are articles on the subject in the FW>Getting Starter section.
Kuhlis and tetras are social prefer to be in groups. The size of the tank will limit the numbers. Kuhlis require plenty of hiding spaces. I would do one or the other.
I would not recommend a bristlenose in that tank.

So I know it's a little larger than yours but I've got my 14gallon stocked with 3 Banded kuhli loaches, 5 neon tetra, and 1 male betta. That seems to be the comfortable limit for my tank. Ive got some wood with java moss, Amazon sword and dwarf sagitarria. And micro sword. I have just a basic led strip with no co2 and everything seems just fine.

You can probably get away with one coach but you may find him hiding out more because he feels vulnerable. I've got the three and they are always out and about even during daytime hours even though i was told they are mostly nocturnal. The betta gets along great with them. He actually loves to rub up against them. And the tetra add a splash of color and live in their own little world.

Hope this helps a little.

So I know it's a little larger than yours but I've got my 14gallon stocked with 3 Banded kuhli loaches, 5 neon tetra, and 1 male betta. That seems to be the comfortable limit for my tank. Ive got some wood with java moss, Amazon sword and dwarf sagitarria. And micro sword. I have just a basic led strip with no co2 and everything seems just fine.

You can probably get away with one coach but you may find him hiding out more because he feels vulnerable. I've got the three and they are always out and about even during daytime hours even though i was told they are mostly nocturnal. The betta gets along great with them. He actually loves to rub up against them. And the tetra add a splash of color and live in their own little world.

Hope this helps a little.

Sounds lovely!

Thanks for the reply :)

There is the traditional fish-in cycle and a fish-less cycle. Both have their pros and cons (subjective). I prefer fish-less.
Setting up the tank and letting it run for a few days/weeks will accomplish nothing. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. There are articles on the subject in the FW>Getting Starter section.
Kuhlis and tetras are social prefer to be in groups. The size of the tank will limit the numbers. Kuhlis require plenty of hiding spaces. I would do one or the other.
I would not recommend a bristlenose in that tank.

Ok, ill have a read, thank you! :)

I didnt know there was different ways? Thought id just set all the substrate, add couple plants and some rocks then let it be for a couple weeks...? [emoji38]

Fish or fishless cycle I meant but if you want fish danios are a good fish to use while cycling.
You just don't have a lot of options with a tank that small. You can get dwarf puffers, they are completely freshwater and tiny.

I wouldn't mess with plecos or loaches, maybe some nerite snails, you could get a corie cat or 2, neon tetras , guppies.. stuff like that but I still like my idea about the puffers lol

Maybe Cory cats aren't the route to go; they really are schooling fish and don't like being kept in numbers below 6.
I think a shrimp tank would be an awesome idea, though. They're adorable, always scuttling around and doing shrimpie things LOL.
Or a betta, they have great personalities and are so wonderful to watch. Maybe a Betta with some cute little cherry shrimp (that is, if you get a Betta who doesn't mind shrimp... some should never be put with shrimp because of their temperament.)
Best of luck and congrats on your new tank!

I wouldn't mess with plecos or loaches, maybe some nerite snails, you could get a corie cat or 2, neon tetras , guppies.. stuff like that but I still like my idea about the puffers lol

Hmm i dont think there are any freshwater puffers available in Aus? Just did a quick google...

Really? That's weird. Do you have a fish store you go to? I would ask them about it.

Maybe Cory cats aren't the route to go; they really are schooling fish and don't like being kept in numbers below 6.
I think a shrimp tank would be an awesome idea, though. They're adorable, always scuttling around and doing shrimpie things LOL.
Or a betta, they have great personalities and are so wonderful to watch. Maybe a Betta with some cute little cherry shrimp (that is, if you get a Betta who doesn't mind shrimp... some should never be put with shrimp because of their temperament.)
Best of luck and congrats on your new tank!

I was starting to think some shrimp and a betta would be nice but was wondering the same thing.. i spose i will find out? :lol:
either that or some tetras with shrimp... but bettas are so pretty! I'm leaning toward betta and shrimp, i think :brows: cute little creepy things

3750c525410366cfd6ee8b82fd9e182e.jpg

My Betta ate my RCS. [emoji15]

But a my son and I both have Betta's in separate 30L tanks and they do fine. A few snails. Betta is the star of his show. King of his castle.

My Betta ate my RCS. [emoji15]

But a my son and I both have Betta's in separate 30L tanks and they do fine. A few snails. Betta is the star of his show. King of his castle.

haha yum yum!
I was thinking they might make a meal too... hmm.

why so hard?! so many things to pick from!

Back
Top Bottom