New(ish) to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayTib13

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, my parents when I was younger had a..I think..70g SW aquarium, and I loved it. Now, I finally got the chance to start my own. Right now I only have a 36g bowfront, but once I get closer to being out of school, and being more settled, I hope to upgrade to around a 100g or larger.

So far, my setup is as follows.

36g Bowfront, with matching stand.
Aqueon 40x filter(came with the starter kit)
Fluval 205 filter(with carbon and bio-max medias)
All glass Aquarium 200w heater(came with starter kit)
Inside and outside thermometer.
Coralife 2x14w t5 HO (1 10000k,1 actinic)
~40lbs of caribsea sand
~20lbs of liverock

Fish:
4 green chromises
2 4 striped damsels
1 yellow tailed damsel
1 flasher wrasse
1 true percula
1 false percula

Edit: I also have some kind of tiny starfish, will post a pic. Maybe someone can ID him.

I've had my aquarium up for probably around 4 weeks now, and for the first 2 weeks I was checking my nitrate,nitrite,and ammonia levels 2-3 times a day. Since then I've been checking them 1-2 times daily, and adding water as needed.

Right now all of my levels are as follows:
.25 ammonia
~1 nitrate..or nitrite. and the other is 0
Ph is ~8.0-8.1
SG is ~1.024

I'm not looking for anymore fish, as to me this is at if not a little above the recommended amount for my tank. But, I am looking to get a horshoe crab and a couple peppermint shrimp(aiptasia problem), and then get into some coral.

Any opinions, suggestions, etc are appreciated. I'll have pics as soon as I get them on my laptop

Pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 88
  • Star Fish.jpg
    Star Fish.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Welcome to aquarium Advice! First thing the little starfish i can prob say 99.9% sure its a asternia starfish. second a horse shoe crab would not do well in your tank.They die very often in captive no one knows why. But if you have a 100+ gallon tank so once you get settled you can try one. Then you would have a big enough tank but you would have to target feed him.

Thanks for the quick reply! Your advice is duely noted. I hadn't heard about this with horshoe crabs, but then again I havn't read up a lot on them yet.

Well it is mainly feeding. You can keep one in your tank but you wouldnt be able to have anything else in the tank so it would get enough food. I had a friend once that was doing experiments with them and he found out they will work fine in a tank your size you just cant get anything else in the tank so it gets enough food. If you have other things you have to have a 100+ tank and target feed so nothing steels its food. Perhaps you could get a side sw tank maybe a 40 gallon and put one in there then you could have one

I was thinkin about that. I only got a 36g because of spacial issues. I'm thinking about clearing off and getting rid of an old computer desk, so I may look into that at some point.

ya they are brilliant creatures when my friend was doing the experiment he was having to kick me out of his house lol

Lol yea, my parents had one with their aquarium, and as far as I can remember it did ok, can't remember if it died or if they got rid of it. Can you take a look at the picture with the brownish stuff on my sand, and tell me whether you think it is diatoms or red algae please?

ya the starfish is asternia. and it looks like diatoms. lol get rid of them quick i thought that cyano the colorful type was a "coral" when i first begun. Then i realized what it was. then i did my best to get rid of it and i finnaly did. then i got diatoms and i am still battling them they keep going away then coming back

Thanks for the advice! I will be doing a PWC probably tomorrow when I get home from school, so maybe that'll help. I read though that diatoms are helpful, I think, during cycling? or is it just that they're inevitable?

they can be somewhat helpfull during cycle for building up bacteria but now that your cycle is over GET RID OF THEM! Yes a pwc should help

Back
Top Bottom