New Man in Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueduck7711

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

This is my first post and would like to thank everyone in advance for any help and advice given. I owned a 10 gallon tank when i was kid but it was more of a toy than anything else, I kept it filled with guppies tadpoles and canal water. Recently(about 3 weeks ago) I was given a tank by a friend of a friend who was didn't want it anymore. It's a 30 gallon hex 24" tall and 17" across corner to corner with a penguin bio-wheel 200 filter. It was already stocked I don't have a lot of information about how it was previously maintained. I took it on a whim thinking it would look good in my house and be an interesting thing for my kids. The day i brought it home I set it up in a corner and didn't really give it much thought. I started to do a little research on aquariums as an afterthought. The more I learned the more the more Jon Snow I became. Still, I'm determined to take ownership of my tank seriously. I'm hoping to learn as much fron as many as I can and in the future give back to those who are in the same situation I am now.

Thank you
Blueduck

What fish do you have in the tank now?

Was the biowheel kept wet while you moved the tank? What about the gravel? If you didn't keep the beneficial bacteria alive during the move, the tank will have to cycle again, which will be dangerous for the fish.

If you don't already have one, get the API freshwater master test kit and monitor for ammonia and nitrite. Go into the articles section on this site and read "I just learned about cycling but I already have fish" (search Cycling in articles).

Back
Top Bottom