The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bizbaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody I'm Barry from Manchester uk I have a 200 liter tropical tank heavily planted with a fluval 305 and a fluval 205 filter running but started getting a dark brown algae growing on my plants which is really annoying me now will do water solve this problem and is it better for my fish or dO they prefer tap water I do daily water changes and Hoover the gravel every 2 weeks can you help please

Hi and welcome!
How long has the tank been set up?
It sounds like diatoms. They are normal in a new tank and will go away by themselves in a month or two. You can manually remove them if they annoy you.
Using RO/DI water in a tropical set up is fine IF you add the proper minerals back to the water. They are needed for fish and plant health.

Welcome to AA! :)

As stated, treated tap is fine and RO is really only needed in FW for certain applications. IMO, it would be a waste of money and water. The diatoms will "burn" themselves out once the excess silicates in the water are consumed.

The tank has been setup for 12 months now I had a 6 foot tank at my mums for 6 years and had all kinds of fish breeding but that was a long time ago and I have lost touch now I just want everything perfect so I know my fish are happy

Back
Top Bottom