The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tod7476

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm new at all this aquarium stuff. Its been a lot of work just having a small 5 gal starter tank, but its very enjoyable to sit back and watch the fish. I've been having trouble keeping all the levels correct, ie. pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I joined this site for all the expert advice and look forward to the discussions.

To keep it the correct level of nitrate,nitrite, and ammonia i use prime and it keeps them really low on all my tanks. Now to maintain the p.h use a product like Tetra correct p.h tablets they work great.

Slow down AAmaster. To keep your ammonia and nitrite down you want to have a cycled tank And nitrates want to be removed by water changes. If your tank isnt cycled you want to keep the ammonia and nitrite low with water changes also.
Is your tank cycled?

Before suggesting ph changers id suggest ro water, most fish will adjust to a ph though and ph uppers/downers can wreak havoc causing swinging or changing ph and this is much worse.
Well anyway what is your ph as it stands?

When you say you cant keep them at the correct levels what do you mean?

Slow down AAmaster. To keep your ammonia and nitrite down you want to have a cycled tank And nitrates want to be removed by water changes. If your tank isnt cycled you want to keep the ammonia and nitrite low with water changes also.
Is your tank cycled?

Before suggesting ph changers id suggest ro water, most fish will adjust to a ph though and ph uppers/downers can wreak havoc causing swinging or changing ph and this is much worse.
Well anyway what is your ph as it stands?

When you say you cant keep them at the correct levels what do you mean?

+1 on this. I recommend avoiding additives when possible. Couple of questions... What kind of fish do you have and how long have you had your tank?

Back
Top Bottom