The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarahT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys
I hope everyone is well.

I am totally new here, I bought my son fish tank for his birthday, it's a 54ltr tank and I am totally new at keeping fish.
We are going to go for tropical fish neon tetras and a pleco seem to be favourite, but we are working on getting the water right.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Welcome Sarah to AA looking forward to seeing some pictures of your tank in the near future[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Sarah :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Glad to have you in the community.

Welcome to the community Sarah and little one.

Advise first off, check which kind of Pleco you are planning on, and see what size it will get and preferred tank size it will like. Clown Pleco, Bulldog and Bristlenose or Bushy nose aka BN Pleco are better for a smaller tank 20-30G though. They really like to have real driftwood to munch on too.

You can get help with a stocking plan for the tank in the Getting Started section:

Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Check out my signature for a great resource of info for new tank keepers. Article from Aquarium Advice with links for more info as well.

Other similar fish to a pleco would be Otocinclus.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I hope everyone is well.

I am totally new here, I bought my son fish tank for his birthday, it's a 54ltr tank and I am totally new at keeping fish.

Welcome! :welcome:

Glad you could join us. :flowers:

I agree with Autumnsky about the plecostomus. In fact, a 54 ltr is about 15 US gallons. I think even the smallest pleco is too large for that. One or two otocincluses would be a better choice, and they'er cute, too.

Neons are wonderful fish, and that tank will let you keep a small school. They can be delicate though, so you might want to consider a hardier species, such as the glowlight.

And feel free to ask questions: We're here to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom