The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skoydaniel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm Daniel new to fish keeping . Had my tank for about two months and I am starting to notice a brown growth in my tank . I've only noticed it growing on the right side of the tank I find that odd . It's a 55 gallon I have 10 GloFish and 3 clown fish. I took a few pictures 1492443977709.jpg1492444017924.jpg

Aww I remember when my clowns were that size! In a few years you'll need a bigger home! These fish will keep your entertained for decades to come! In about 8-10 years they'll be at least 8" long and about 3" high, there's more I could say but not on your first day!
Welcome and good luck.
(My first tank had blue gravel too.......)
I like the fact you have lots of the same fish, that's the best way to enjoy most species.

I only have one light for the tank and it's on the right side. I have to close my blinds around 4 in the afternoon so it doesn't get direct sunlight.

Are your plants artificial? Eventually you will need to take all decorations out and clean them. I do it with my decor once every​ few months. I give them a bleach soak. Gets that nasty algae off with no scrubbing.

Yes they are artificial. That's good to know . Is there a specific water to bleach ratio and would I need to rinse them off with tank water before I place them back into the tank? Any advice is good advice to me anyway.

As for a bleach to water ratio, I just pour for about 1-2 seconds into a 5g bucket then fill with decor and the plants. Then fill up with water.

Let it sit for about an hour or so.
Then I would rinse out the bucket and fill it back up with just water then I use api tap water conditioner concentrate formula. This is used to get rid of any trace of bleach.
Let that sit for about an hour. Then I just rinse off the decor and it's good to go.
A good (old) toothbrush is good to use to get algae off individual plant leaves.
It can be stubborn sometimes.

Alright good to know! I'm a total rookie when comes to fish keeping. I've watched stuff on the Web but I would rather here information from fellow fish keeper's . Is there a special material or filter I could us to help with the growth of the brown algae? My filter is for a 75 gallon I figured more filtration the better .Also would I cause a cycle in the tank from moving or stirring up too much debris on the bottom of the tank?

Shouldn't be that hard to get diatoms off. Toothbrush should be all thats needed

Alright good to know! I'm a total rookie when comes to fish keeping. I've watched stuff on the Web but I would rather here information from fellow fish keeper's . Is there a special material or filter I could us to help with the growth of the brown algae? My filter is for a 75 gallon I figured more filtration the better .Also would I cause a cycle in the tank from moving or stirring up too much debris on the bottom of the tank?
My personal rule about filtration is to have double the amount of what your tank is. So if you have a 10g tank, use at least a filter fit for 20g. Same with 50g or any size. On my 75g tank I have 2 hob (hang on back) filters that are rated for 70g aquariums. And not really any specific or special tool to use. Just what ever you find is easiest.
Just takes time to get into a groove on how to do things

By debris I mean uneaten fish food/waste at the bottom of the fish tank . That's why I got the clowns to help keep the bottom clean . But there not vary effective I have 3. Heard if you unsettle to much if that it cause a spike in both nitrites and nitrates. Making your tank unhealthy .

Oh no. Lol you will have to eventually when you gravel vac the bottom. So that isn't a problem at all. More annoying for you to look at until the filter can clean the water out.

Back
Top Bottom