New member!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody!
My name is Hannah and this is my first time joining an aquarium forum. I am pretty new to the aquarium life and always looking for more information and advice. My boyfriend and I recently set up a 72 gallon bow front aquarium and it's been quite the adventure! We currently have 1 red eared slider turtle, 2 goldfish (1 common & 1 that I'm not entirely sure about- hoping to get some help identifying him) & 3 plecos (2 common & 1 bristle nose). I hope to post some pictures and tell more about my journey later on!

Welcome to AA! :)

Btw common plecos are extremely territorial. You must only have one per tank that size. I'm not to sure it will allow the BN to eat though if you keep a common as well I'd say just take both of your common plecos back and keep a BN alone he'll be much happier and he won't grow longer than your turtle like the commons. ;)

Btw common plecos are extremely territorial. You must only have one per tank that size. I'm not to sure it will allow the BN to eat though if you keep a common as well I'd say just take both of your common plecos back and keep a BN alone he'll be much happier and he won't grow longer than your turtle like the commons. ;)

Oh my I was unaware! The fish shop we got them from had them all in one tank and did not say anything. But now that you mention it- I have noticed the commons stick togetyer and the BN is alone. But actually the BN is the one who seems to rule the bottom. I have seen him chase away the other ones. Thanks for the info I will keep an eye on everybody!

Usually more so when they grow up/ mature to sexual maturity and there can start being eggs/ babies. Male guards them until they are ready to go off exploring.

When they are youngsters in the tanks at the store they don't care that much.

Usually more so when they grow up/ mature to sexual maturity and there can start being eggs/ babies. Male guards them until they are ready to go off exploring.

When they are youngsters in the tanks at the store they don't care that much.

Autumnsky is right! I know you were “keeping an eye on them” but you have to know this you can’t see them being aggressive or you don’t see them being bullies because they are active when the lights go off. So you will likely see them “getting along” during the day because they are tired after fighting all night. And the common plecos will likely have killed each other/ killed the BN by the time they reach sexual maturity. When they reach sexual maturity they will be like 10+ inches long and will beat the life out of the little poor bristlenose who only reaches 4-5 inches. :( and the BN is sooo not gonna get to eat when you have two giant agressive pooping machines. Did you know it takes Common plecos a very long time to grow. So yes they will stay small for awhile. But they will eat all the algae and just turn it into poop which is bad and algae is better than poop. So yeah not to scare you but plecos are not all they’re cracked up to be. They just turn algae into poop basically. And once they get big enough they will start sucking the slime coat off of other fish while they’re sleeping and you will have sick fish because of that. Look how big my pleco is...IMG_1687.jpg

Autumnsky is right! I know you were “keeping an eye on them” but you have to know this you can’t see them being aggressive or you don’t see them being bullies because they are active when the lights go off. So you will likely see them “getting along” during the day because they are tired after fighting all night. And the common plecos will likely have killed each other/ killed the BN by the time they reach sexual maturity. When they reach sexual maturity they will be like 10+ inches long and will beat the life out of the little poor bristlenose who only reaches 4-5 inches. :( and the BN is sooo not gonna get to eat when you have two giant agressive pooping machines. Did you know it takes Common plecos a very long time to grow. So yes they will stay small for awhile. But they will eat all the algae and just turn it into poop which is bad and algae is better than poop. So yeah not to scare you but plecos are not all they’re cracked up to be. They just turn algae into poop basically. And once they get big enough they will start sucking the slime coat off of other fish while they’re sleeping and you will have sick fish because of that. Look how big my pleco is...View attachment 316185

Holy smokes! Well shoot ok I need to make some adjustments. I do want to keep the BN- I am going to see if the place I got them from will take back the commons. Thanks a ton for this info!!!

Maybe a good thought. Exchange for BN?

Presently, I have 3 mature BN in my 72G actively breeding (have saved a couple babies over the years, but they are eaten I think by bigger fish, as it is a community tank). 5-7 years old.

A few years ago, I got 3 newer ones, 2 Albino Green Dragons, and one Green Dragon.
Things seemed okay for a while /probably because the little ones were young.

Unfortunately the original ones remain and the beautiful Dragons which were smaller are gone.

So I do think that they fight over space / territory. There are at least 3 DW big spaces for them to hang out. Plus other spaces and a Pleco cave for spawning. Before that situation, I didn't think it was a big deal to have a bigger group.

The commons get huge - our local Petco had a couple donated adoptable fish and the head was softball size. ~15" And can poop the size of your index finger or thumb, when they are big.

Also have real DW in the tank for them to munch on. Some species need it more than others, but they need the fiber I guess. It is related to digestion anyhow.

See if they would exchange the ones you have for another type of fish at least. This is one of the top commonly sold fish NOT to get for a home aquarium. Enormous fish.

It isn't an emergency at this point because they are young, but if you can exchange them all the better.

Maybe a good thought. Exchange for BN?

Presently, I have 3 mature BN in my 72G actively breeding (have saved a couple babies over the years, but they are eaten I think by bigger fish, as it is a community tank). 5-7 years old.

A few years ago, I got 3 newer ones, 2 Albino Green Dragons, and one Green Dragon.
Things seemed okay for a while /probably because the little ones were young.

Unfortunately the original ones remain and the beautiful Dragons which were smaller are gone.

So I do think that they fight over space / territory. There are at least 3 DW big spaces for them to hang out. Plus other spaces and a Pleco cave for spawning. Before that situation, I didn't think it was a big deal to have a bigger group.

The commons get huge - our local Petco had a couple donated adoptable fish and the head was softball size. ~15" And can poop the size of your index finger or thumb, when they are big.

Also have real DW in the tank for them to munch on. Some species need it more than others, but they need the fiber I guess. It is related to digestion anyhow.

See if they would exchange the ones you have for another type of fish at least. This is one of the top commonly sold fish NOT to get for a home aquarium. Enormous fish.

It isn't an emergency at this point because they are young, but if you can exchange them all the better.

Thank you for the info! I found a new home for the common pleco. After further investigation and scooping out the plecos- I discovered one of the black plecos I thought was a common is actually a BN! She has bristles on the front part of her little nose. Makes total sense now- the albino BN and this black one have started hanging out and are growing at the same rate. I think its a female because she only has bristles on the front of her little nose. My albino has bristles all over his head- going up near his eyes on top. I read that usually indicates a male. Is that accurate? Anyway so I'm keeping my BN and have rehomed the common! I did not know they required DW.... I do have a nice big piece of real DW and I just took it out of tank but I will def put it back in if need be!

The cuties!
120025-albums14818-picture72582.jpg

That's an interesting looking decoration. Cute fish!

Found those tower things in the aquarium decor section and thought hmmm what can I do with these? Then checking out the artifical plants and saw those green puffball plant thing.... Shoved them inside and boom- unique decor and the plecos love it lol

Back
Top Bottom