New member.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tazie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Im new to the site but have been keeping fish for the past couple of years. Right now i have a 20 gal fully planted tank with a small schoal of tigerbarbs and khuli loaches. With a few different types of snails.

I have two smaller tanks (2.5 gal) that have been cyceling for almost 2 months. I had done water checks and gone out to get some bettas. I know 2.5 gal is the bare minimum for bettas but i live in a condl and have very limited space. The one betta must have been sick when i got him for he died after a few days :( thankfully the other guy is still doing well.

Hello. Im new to the site but have been keeping fish for the past couple of years. Right now i have a 20 gal fully planted tank with a small schoal of tigerbarbs and khuli loaches. With a few different types of snails.

I have two smaller tanks (2.5 gal) that have been cyceling for almost 2 months. I had done water checks and gone out to get some bettas. I know 2.5 gal is the bare minimum for bettas but i live in a condl and have very limited space. The one betta must have been sick when i got him for he died after a few days :( thankfully the other guy is still doing well.

Welcome to the site. :flowers: Sorry to hear about the Betta but it does sound like the fish was not healthy when you got it.

As for the bare minimum gallons for a Betta, it will all depend on which camp you are in because commercial breeders keep them in 1 gallon tanks so if someone who makes their living by having fish healthy enough to breed keeps them in 1 gallon of water, saying 2.5 gallons as a minimum is just not true. :whistle: ;)

Yes, fish in cycles take time. One of the drawbacks of doing fish in cycles in small tanks is that the water goes bad much quicker in a small tank than in a larger tank. You do have the option of adding some filter material from your 20 gal tank to your betta tanks which will speed up the cycling process ( If you are using a sponge filter in the 20, take a couple of squeezings from the dirty sponge and add it to both Betta tanks as that too will add the proper microbes to cycle both tanks. (y) )

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom