New member, 40 gallon tank 36×18×18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kfish24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Brand new here, have read some forums when needed help so thought I would join lol. Have a 40 gallon with 2 blue German ram and one Bolivian ram, 2 gold fish, 3 Otocinclus, 2 fiddler crab, one vampire shrimp. Hope to get and give advice when I can.

P.s. Saturdays are for the boys ?

Get rid oood the goldfish, theyll damper the success of your 40 gallon very dirty dirty fish. Btw welcome to aa!

Yeah that's what intend to do just had them for awhile and don't have a other tank..but found a place that will take them. I also have a canister filter and HOB filter.

Ahh more than adequate filtration! *high-five*! Make sure flow isnt to strong. And good good! What are you trying to aim for in your tank?

What happenes if the flow is to strong?? I want a big fish or atleast one big one that is sutiable for a 40 gallon with a couple of smaller ones around it. A good community tank. With something standing out you get me?? Still messing around with me decor.

I totally know what you mean, i was hoping to have a big big fish in my 55 gal and be an community tank but the general rule is 1" of fish per gallon, the biggest i could go with in my planted community tank was angels and discs. If the flows to strong, and the fish are not from a fast flowing water environment they will have a hard time swimming around the tank then they die, as well as the flow pattern you have set up is crucial to garentee optimal flirtation which is much much more important to figure out than just starting out with over filtration systems which CAN kill fish by to strong of an current.

Yeah I just got two wave makers for my tank. The sunsun up 101. Each is suppose to move 530gph. I put one in each side pointing up to agitate the water. I had one pointing at am angle nut noticed it was to strong. Still debating if I need to take one out....Yeah maybe ill do angle fish. I like cichlids but don't want my shrimp or crabs to be eatten lol... Still searching for that right fish.

Id def take out the wave makers! If its freshwater then you absolutely want to avoid having waves on the top, at the most you only will want ripples (like the ones from the sponge filters for an example. ) your filters are more than enough or to much (which wouldnt surprise me) for 40 gals

Just read the rest of your post, I think we're gonna get along just fine.... [emoji481] gulp, gulp, ahhhhhh

Id def take out the wave makers! If its freshwater then you absolutely want to avoid having waves on the top, at the most you only will want ripples (like the ones from the sponge filters for an example. ) your filters are more than enough or to much (which wouldnt surprise me) for 40 gals

Alright makes since i was just trying to agitate the top of water to make sure there's enough oxygen. And the other one was to circulate the water. Thx everyone for welcome .

Understand that i do! If you were going for saltwater then you possibly would need the wave makers

Back
Top Bottom