New member, advice on patching vs completely resealing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I had fish growing up, but my parents mostly took care of them. I got a 20 gallon tank and 6 goldfish at the beginning of the year. They're mostly doing great, but it's well past time to upgrade to a bigger tank, as the biggest of them is currently over 6 inches counting (fancy) tail.

I got a 75 gallon tank off craigslist, and it looked ok, but upon putting it in the shower and filling it, it looks like there's spots where the water is getting under the silicone. All told I think there's about a half dozen of these spots on the 4 vertical edges, and I can't tell if there's on the bottom edges because the trim makes it impossible to see.

So, what should I do? Should I figure out some way to find the iffy spots on the bottom, and just patch repair all the spots along the edges and bottom? Or should I just rip out all the silicone and totally reseal it? I found the "how to reseal a tank" tutorial here via a google search, it seems a straightforward process. I don't mind putting in the time and effort, I just want whatever will give me the best tank going forward.

complete reseal inside and out or get another tank its usualy easyer and less of a hassel just buying a new tank

I can't afford another tank unless I sold this one for what I paid for it, and I wouldn't feel right selling a tank I strongly suspect will spring a leak shortly. So making this tank work is really my only option.

In that ase tank it out side and fill and empty heaps and reseal every corner inside and out then leave it for a few weeks but keep checking it alot of the water will evap but you will be able to find the a bit easyer with full sunlight Iv tryed in the past but I usualy go crazy with the leaky tank and smash em

in australia the glass makers have a liquid that fills up gaps ant remember the name of it but iv herd of it from a few tank builders

Back
Top Bottom