New member and new 2 fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drhoades83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning. New to this forum and to fish keeping in general. I had a tank many years ago but it was a total disaster. My wife and I have decided to start a tank for our daughter. Any and all advice welcome. Looking for something easy to care for as it is a training tank.

20 gal freshwater tropical (76deg)
Fake plants, typical bagged substrate
Water filtered for a week, treated and heated till next week before adding fish.

What are a few compatible, easy to care for species my 3 yr old can enjoy?
c335d48a27f280e3c0df8990ab3b1ce9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind live bearing species as long as it's not a constant breeding thing. Simplicity is my goal here to teach myself how to keep fish properly until I'm ready for a more advanced tank (live plants, etc.) I'm not interested in goldfish really though. Looking for 3 or 4 in tank plus a catfish for algae.

I wouldn't mind live bearing species as long as it's not a constant breeding thing. Simplicity is my goal here to teach myself how to keep fish properly until I'm ready for a more advanced tank (live plants, etc.) I'm not interested in goldfish really though. Looking for 3 or 4 in tank plus a catfish for algae.

Welcome to AA! I've always enjoyed neons even when I was little (maybe 6?). I think 2-3 oto catfish would be a great addition as the algae dept of your janitorial staff, as they're lively, still small, and can add to the personality. In the interest of keeping it simple, you could also add a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece as they don't get very big.

The reason for the numbers I was suggesting is because they're social fish, however, they can be edited. I just wouldn't put the neons or the otos in too small of a group..they get lonely.

Added a few more artificial plants. Off to the big city to see the fish man tomorrow.

389aa6434ff32a0d40be79273d6bebdf.jpg

I really really really wanna put an Indian Jones action figure in your tank....lol

It looks like an exotic adventure.

Welcome :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

So we went and got a few inhabitants today. 1 blue dwarf gourami (daughter already named him whiskers) and 5 serpae tetras. After a few weeks (after first cycle) I'll drop in a catfish for algae. Picked up necessary flakes and a master test kit. Plan on testing water twice a week for 2 weeks, then once a week for 2 weeks, until I'm satisfied levels are stable. Then biweekly for routine.

4e5d86ad611fa3c30c3b79c61d60e0f9.jpg

4b2229b119bd289baaa4e2f7df5e16ec.jpg

She hasn't gone too far from this position since addition yesterday.
Dwarf gourami- Mr Whiskers
5 serpae tetras- Alvin, Simon, Theodore, Chip, and Dale. She certainly is creative and specific. Oh and brought them a "plate of duckies" to talk to.

1fe4918da1ab9ee4c2efdef33edc23cf.jpg

I hope so. Will be doing a full spectrum test tomorrow afternoon and will post results. Could really use some guidance on maintaining water chemistry after I do (good levels, volume and frequency of water changes, etc.) I greatly appreciate any input from this forum and it's gilled gurus.

a34578e470084f3898e864b59c0c5f33.jpg

Ok so I couldn't contain myself and did a full test. Results are

pH: 7.2+
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (dark side of 0, but definitely below 5.0)

Are these levels ok for where I'm at? How do I correct such a high pH?

How frequently and how much water do I remove for water changes? Proper procedure?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to learn properly.

In a perfect world your ammonia and nitrite should be 0. PWC (partial water change) should be done when needed. Anywhere from 25% to 50% weekly to biweekly depending on the bioload and your bacteria. I would suggest a 25% PWC to bring that ammonia down and keep an eye on it now that the fish have been added to make sure your bacteria are coverting it to nitrates.

Your ph is fine. Fish are amazing at adapting to ph as long as it isn't extreme.

In a perfect world your ammonia and nitrite should be 0. PWC (partial water change) should be done when needed. Anywhere from 25% to 50% weekly to biweekly depending on the bioload and your bacteria. I would suggest a 25% PWC to bring that ammonia down and keep an eye on it now that the fish have been added to make sure your bacteria are coverting it to nitrates.

Your ph is fine. Fish are amazing at adapting to ph as long as it isn't extreme.
Thanks for the advice. Any special protocol for pwc? I will commit to 25% weekly until levels stabilize. Will test frequently as well.

Thanks for the advice. Any special protocol for pwc? I will commit to 25% weekly until levels stabilize. Will test frequently as well.

Invest in a siphon/vacuum to get the fish poo out a bit while your removing some water.

Ok so the locals didn't have a siphon for pwc. Until I get one in a few days, I'll have to make due. I added 20 ml of a nitrifying agent (api quickstart) to combat ammonia. Will test water in a couple hours.
At for the pwc, I just pull 25%, and replace with treated tap? Obv. let it sit to room temp first.

Sounds like a plan. Is your tap water chlorinated? You may need to add something to dechlorinate or let it sit a bit longer to allow it to convert to gas and out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom