New Member Greetings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
:fish2:Hi Everyone!:fish2:

I've been reading advice on this forum for a while now, so I thought it was time I joined in. I got my tank last July and instantly became a N.T.S. victim (New Tank Syndrome), thanks to not doing research and trying to please my 4 year old daughter. I had to cycle my tank the hard way, and had a few casualties along the way, but have learned a tremendous amount about this new hobby of mine and have a great tank now. I started trying to have a basic communal tank, but after losing a few along the way, I have started shifting my stock to semi-aggressive.

My Tank: Marineland 20 Gallon Kit w/ heater and Penguin Filter
*Upgraded the filter to an Aquaclear 70 after not being satisfied with the stock filter it came with. Very happy now.

My Stock: 4 Neon Tetra, 2 Male Guppies, 2 Angles, 2 Electric Blue Rams, 2 Albino Tiger Barbs, 1 Cory Catfish, 1 Yoyo Loach, 2 Mystery Snails (Black & Ivory)

Few Questions for the Group

1) Feeding: I have heard many different things from many different people, so I want to see what other aquarist are doing, and go from there. I am feeding my fish every other day. I feed a few pinches of flakes, a couple of small shrimp pellets, and a couple of algae wafers. Some people have said feed every day, or multiple times a day, or every other day. Thoughts?

2) Mystery Snails: Anyone else snail fans? Curious if mystery snails get territorial or fight each other. I had one snail (gary) thrive in my tank, so I got him a buddy (shelly). As soon as I introduced Shelly on the scene, Gary was always on top on her/him. (not sure of their sex) Anyway, a few days of this and suddenly Shelly was dead. I picked up another snail, and the same thing happened, but this new Shelly lasted longer. Last week, Gary passed away and im thinking it was natural causes. He was HUGE, so no one picked on him. Also, are the things im feeding enough for them to thrive?

3) Gravel Syphoning / Water Changes: I am cleaning my tank a little over once a month. I use a tank brush and scraper, and will remove the plastic plants and rocks and clean them off as well. My tank does get quite dirty. I then syphon the gravel until about 20-25% of the water is out, then add a tiny bit of conditioner and refill with the fresh water. Does any of this cleaning sound excessive? I like my tank to be clean!

Thanks in advanced!
img_3122535_0_9d51d1c1cdb2ac4bab60f1b99fe1480e.jpg

Well, your tank looks beautiful! But it is EXTREMELY overstocked. The yo yo alone should be in no less than a 30 gallon, and even there it needs to be in a group. The angel grows more high than long, but still it needs no less than a 29 gallon. I can't guarantee anything for the Rams, because they need pristine water quality an readings. For all of those schooling fish: Your Cory is going to be extremely stressed because they feel more comfortable in groups of 5+, your tetras need to be in a group of at least 6, and your Tiger Barbs are going to bite the poop out of everyone else. If you want to keep all your fish and give them all proper groups, I would upgrade to a 40 gallon. They aren't exactly big, but they are large enough to fit in those fish and the groups you need. Hope it works out!

NILS

Welcome to AA!

I agree with nils

You also should do water changes every week!

Fishobsessed7

Well, your tank looks beautiful! But it is EXTREMELY overstocked. The yo yo alone should be in no less than a 30 gallon, and even there it needs to be in a group. The angel grows more high than long, but still it needs no less than a 29 gallon. I can't guarantee anything for the Rams, because they need pristine water quality an readings. For all of those schooling fish: Your Cory is going to be extremely stressed because they feel more comfortable in groups of 5+, your tetras need to be in a group of at least 6, and your Tiger Barbs are going to bite the poop out of everyone else. If you want to keep all your fish and give them all proper groups, I would upgrade to a 40 gallon. They aren't exactly big, but they are large enough to fit in those fish and the groups you need. Hope it works out!

NILS

Thanks for the advice. I will be getting a larger tank soon. I really want to do live plants, any suggestions on where to get my tank and what kind? I know I cant use my LED tank for live plants. Im looking at a 50-55 gallon set up, but will need stand. Trying to find best deal.

My Yoyo is REALLY small, like less than an inch. (Alot of my fish are small size) It really needs a 30 gallon? The Rams have been doing well, and my water conditions have been very stable for a while now. I do a water test every week to make sure, and keep the temperature the same. Had no idea corys needed to be schooled. I was trying to just get a variety for a small tank. He appears happy, but not sure. He mainly stays mellow during the day, and at night, he swims all over the place. (Even up to the top of the tank.) I had 6 tetras before, but lost 2 from water conditions, and a mean gourami. The 4 I have now still school and are pretty good size, and no one picks on them. The albino barbs have been very chill and not trying to mess with anyone yet. They are also smaller.

Welcome to AA!

I agree with nils

You also should do water changes every week!

Fishobsessed7

Every week??? really? The water conditions are stable now, wouldn't that make things a little rough? Thanks!

I'd have to agree with the other on it being extremely overstocked. http://aqadvisor.com/ is a great source for assessing stock/filtration needs. Another source for fish requirements is http://www.liveaquaria.com/?t=1&ref=4395&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-B-4395 in regards to tank size, food, and compatibility. In the past the old "rule" was 1" of fish per gallon of water and unfortunately was not adequate enough. Mostly because they all start out small but as with yours, need room to grow. Some grow faster than others and some not so much. Water changes really need to be done at least weekly. This helps to keep the parameters in check and keep the fish growing and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yes every week you need to change water. Especially with the load you have it is good to keep the minerals replenished, and the waste low.

Sent from my fish tank

Yes every week you need to change water. Especially with the load you have it is good to keep the minerals replenished, and the waste low.

Sent from my fish tank

So I just got my 55 gallon long from a buddy, and already have it cyling up! Put a couple fish and rock in there for the time being, but using my filter and media to speed the process. So far levels look good. Going to keep this tank for the Angles and Rams. Any other fish that would go well with these? Got lots of room now!! Was thinking Discuss. Thanks!! :dance:

So I just got my 55 gallon long from a buddy, and already have it cyling up! Put a couple fish and rock in there for the time being, but using my filter and media to speed the process. So far levels look good. Going to keep this tank for the Angles and Rams. Any other fish that would go well with these? Got lots of room now!! Was thinking Discuss. Thanks!! :dance:

So you're going with the fish in cycling ? Some do it, some don't. There's pros and cons to each side. What are you using for water testing ?

As far as others to go with them, I would suggest that you have a look here. http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

It will give you the ability to come up with a list of what you might find attractive. Then go back to the main page and search the individual fish. From there, match up all parameters (pH, temp, etc) associated with the ones on your list. Cross off the ones that don't match and take it from there.

I will offer this about the Discus.... Based on your experience, don't do it. They're not for a beginner. They're not difficult but they're very demanding. I would suggest doing at least 6 months of solid research before taking that plunge as there's so many variables that come with raising them.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

So you're going with the fish in cycling ? Some do it, some don't. There's pros and cons to each side. What are you using for water testing ?

I feel this cycle will happen very quickly since the tank was drained only a day and all the sand was still moist. Pretty sure alot of good bactieria was retained. I put some of my other tank media in, along with some store bought good bacteria, and my largest filter. The only fish I put in there are 2 little A-hole albino tiger barbs that I needed to get out of my 20 gallon and one of my Blue German Rams that needed space. They are loving the tank to themselves.

As for testing, I am using Tetra water test strips.

Here is a pic of it now.
img_3127789_0_e9821c02477f1a5ad2aab2187fab65bf.jpg

I boiled some new drift wood I got for 6+ hours to get tannins out. I really want a natural look here, so am going to take my time with adding plants. Just got new glass tops, and a new Aqueon T5 dual light fixture to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom