New member, Greetings from Shanghai ! Seeking some help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glocket

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm a UK expat living in Shanghai, to keep myself some company as I'm 6/7 days a week alone I've set myself up an aquarium for 2 Ranchu and 1 Oranda !

I used to do this hobby in the past and so I've done some research and restarted so I can lose my mind talking to fish.

Things work a bit different here and you can't really go out and buy the fish, you get in posted,my issue started with Pyke, my Oranda. He was healthy for the first few weeks I owned him so I decided I'd purchase two smaller ranchu to keep him company.

After I ordered the fish Pyke got really sick, first it was SBD that went to a bacterial infection and then to septicemia, you'll be amazed that he made it all through and hes happy and active as ever.

EUVInNqU4AcyZE4

EUVInNoUUAAO6u4

Meanwhile the Ranchu are living in my main tank and Pyke is in the Hospital tank. As Pyke is recovering Ichigo and Flump have had an outbreak of ick , parameters havn't changed or anything so still unsure what was the cause but some of the sellers here are questionable, but pretty much all the sellers seem super vague in the quality of fish.

I've been medicating them with eSHa exit and 2000 as advised online. Their ick seems to of disappeared and theres maybe one or two dots left from the 30 they had. They're now in a smaller QT tank I had them in when they first arrived, they've been living in there a week and I thought they were fine.

My main concern now is that my Main tank has ick in it.
It's 65cm by 45cm x 45cm
I have two filters running, an internal submerged tank by a brand here called 'YEE'

And an external canister filter by a brand here called 'Crazy Stones' which claims to be suitable for up to 200L and I use Seachem Matrix and Matrixcarbon and Purigen, The carbon is currently out while the medicines inside.

Since the fish are out the tank is running at 82F with eSHa exit still inside.
Will this kill all of the ick in say a week ? Including the external filter ?
From the research i've been trying to do the life cycle is lessened significantly and all phases/generations of the current infestation should exit the egg phase to free swimming and either having no host, the eSHa or the heat should kill them ?

Thoughts please or any alternative advice on purging this tank, I'd like to get Pyke in there at least but hes probably still weakened from his bout of infections and I don't think he could handle ick or the ick medicines.

I would think that should be fine. I’ve had a cyst sit on a fish for 10 days at 86F and dosing but that’s about worse case and yours will be fishless.

Just in case, I’d do a big water change first up as any organic load quickly soaks up the meds. And then a big one at end of week. Some thoughts.

Do you think that my canister will also be safe ? It's processing the hotter water through it with the meds + no fish ?
Do you think a week is an acceptable time scale also ?

Sorry for all the questions !

Canister bacteria I think will depend on how old the tank is. Less than a year running and the bacteria might not be so bullet proof.

But after three days or so off the canister would go anaerobic anyway with oxygen used up as no flow. And nitrifying bacteria die off.

Personally here I don’t notice any problems with bacteria and meds.

You could switch canister off overnight after dosing meds, then back on in morning.

I think a week should be sufficient

Back
Top Bottom