New Member! Hey AA, what's up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt Ziemer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New member to the site. I'm joining to get some help with the occasional question and get a second opinion on some of the advice I get from the LFS.

I have had two medium freshwater tanks for about 10 years. One with massive goldfish, one with misc. community fish (tetras, etc.)

Goldfish died off over the last year or so, now I have the freshwater community tank (45 gal) and a reef tank (55 gal).

The reef tank was started about 6 mos. ago, and of course, that's what most of my questions are about. The tank has a 15 g sump that I made from a 20 extra tank. I have T5HO lighting, just under 4 watts per gallon.

Livestock is 1 medium colony Zoanthas, 1 two-head torch coral, 1 three-head torch coral, 1 small bubble coral, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue damsel, 1 yellow tail damsel, 2 percola clowns, and a typical clean up crew.

Some of my questions include:

1. Rules of thumb for max capacity for fish stock.

2. Right now, my sump includes a "refugium" with nothing in it but a big clump of chaeto. Do I need a DSB and other critters for the chaeto, or will it do fine just on its own?

3. I'd like some opinion on the competing advice regarding use of supplements. Some say go with a full regimen. Some say I shouldn't really need them if I use good salt.

That's the kind of stuff that led me here. I look forward to a dialog!

Matt:thanks:

Last edited:
:welcome: to AA! We hope you enjoy :)

Also if you don't get a response post your questions in the saltwater section to get more views and responses. Good luck

Well as for question #1 there is no real rule of thumb. It all depends on your amount of LR, your filtration, Ect.

I can tell you that the yellow tang should probably have a bigger tank when it gets full grown but it's ultimately up to you.

Post in the saltwater section everything about your tank and what's in it and I'm sure people will be able to tell you about how many fish you can add.

Back
Top Bottom