new member in maryland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been meaning to go there since I read about them on this forum. Copa- do they still have much fw fish left. I hope I can get there this wkend before they close.

I like Toms but as discussed their service is spotty. I even saw some sad looking albino Cory's mourning their dead breatheren in a tank there just yest

I bought some of those Cory's on saturday... Their power was out, apparently it happens quite often. Might explain the deaths

Yeah they had alot of fish left from what I could see. We browsed a little.. I mean alot of tanks are empty now and maybe they are starting to condense alot together. We went there because we have been looking at one of their fish tank stands. Since we heard everything was half off we went thre last night to buy it. And to get our fish some black worms. Whats a shame is that is our fish's favorite thing to eat... black worms. And toms doesnt sell those. so we figured we would buy them and let them feast this week

Carguy-- That's too funny that you scoped out the same thing. I liked those albinos but got scared about buying them. As you know all these fish advisors say not to buy from a tank with dead fish. Let me know how they do.
Most of them were healthy --20 or so just chillin on the gravel. But There was one spinning on its axis clanging into the tank walks. At least 2 dead looking ones trapped in algae though

Copa. W as the stand half off too. Were there any 30-40 gal tank/ stand combos left and on sale. Thx

Yep everything in the store they told ys was half off. the stand use to be 200, and they were selling it for 125. I guess not EXACTLY half off but still a good deal. They did have a few tanks and stands there that I saw but I wasnt sure what the gallons were on them. But yea they did have some left

Have you asked toms about getting black worms for you?. They may be able to do so. I have seen them sell brine shrimp quite often and recently pigs ears I guess for reptiles

All of them LOL. Platies, Balas, serpaes, silvertips, even my cardinal tetras try to get the small ones. they absolutely love them. Theyre a bunch of fatties. Atleast they act like it lol.

Have you asked toms about getting black worms for you?. They may be able to do so. I have seen them sell brine shrimp quite often and recently pigs ears I guess for reptiles

Yeah we get brine shrimp from Toms alot. My fish are almost as crazy about them as they are black worms. We usually go to Toms for the shrimp is exotics is out of stock. No big deal we will just go to TOms for them. I can ask them about the worms definitely

Gish said:
Carguy-- That's too funny that you scoped out the same thing. I liked those albinos but got scared about buying them. As you know all these fish advisors say not to buy from a tank with dead fish. Let me know how they do.

so far they are doing great. I got 3 from that tank .

As for black worms, I have the same thing here, all my fish love them even my alge eater eats them.

Yea my panda catfish (?) eat them too. He sucks them off the bottom like spaghetti. Nasty lol

went back to Tom's. I am please to report that they cleaned out the dead/diseased fish in the albino cory tank. the remaining ones just lie there though. i thought they were supposed to be more energetic fish.

went to exotic aquatics. they still have some fish, a lot of what they have seems a bit advanced for me, ie, tons of chiclids. they also have lots of plants. only a handful of tanks and stands and for some reason, they aren't discounting those much. i'll go back this wkend hoping to get a 29 gallon + stand. hopefully i can get a better deal on that.

it was a definitely a sad sight to see this store closing down. it's a bummer that I just recently discovered this hobby and did not get see this store in its prime. one can easily tell that it must have been impressive both in quality and selection. hopefully they will be able to reopen somewhere else. the staff genuinely seems to have no idea what the future holds.

Yeah the store was pretty nice I must say. All of the staff knows what they are talking about and have a lot of knowledge. Your right, for weeks and still, none of them truly know what is going to happen with the store. And it is a shame. Hopefully they are able to keep us updated on their facebook page on website on when and where they will reopen, if they do.

I hear good things about a place in Glen Burnie, called House of Tropicals I think its called. Ive never been there byt people I know have. Its not the closest to me but might be worth checking out

i'm going to check out House of tropicals. Maybe today as I'm here at Harbor Hospital! my wife thinks i'm going crazy visiting every fish store in town (and in Tampa, FL when we were on vacation last week). she might be right, but it's fun to have a new hobby.

Its definitely a hobby. There was a place on Liberty rd, not sure what that was called that I use to hear was really nice.. but was just told they are in the process of moving and they've gone downhill in quality. Which is a shame cause that's close to where I work.

Well I made it to house of Tropicals. Driving up I was tickled that it was next to a Blockbuster video. After browsing the 5 DVDs for 20 bucks Rack I ventured into the House.

The store has anything you could be wishing for. The staff was easily recognizable by their shirts and they were helpful but a little busy too. The prices were competitive.

It wasn't stuffy or stanky like toms. They had the reptiles/rodents in the back.

Tons of fish. I definitely want to get into cichlids at some point. I saw a couple new types of fish but the majority was what most of us would expect to find.-- except for the monster gourami which greets you

The only thing that irks me about the lfs-- toms, house of t, Exotics-- Is their difficult to read/ sometimes inaccurate labeling of stock and poor lighting conditions which do not always showcase the fish. The mega mart pet stores definitely outdo the lfs in the area of clarity and presentation.

I'm almost ashamed to Admit this but afterward I went to the petco near golden ring/rt 40 and found the aqueon 29 gal kit I wanted for 76$. It was $120 at the house Also the Charlie mansonish teen that helped me at petco knew his fish as good as anyone at the lfs.

As much as I want to support the lfs how can you deny the simple economics of this.

Tomorrow I'm Going to exotics with family in tow to try to nab a stand, some Groundcover, Some water sprite, and those cute panda Cories if there's anything left

Back
Top Bottom