new member intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jleehand

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, all. I just set up a new aquarium, so far, so good. here's the details: 10 gal halfmoon, natural gravel & rocks with live plants, setup with laterite in the gravel, RO h2o, bacteria culture, stresscoat,and added 2 red tux guppies (m) to start. I keep a lab notebook, and am using API test kit to monitor. the tank came bundled with a crappy heater, so I immediately replaced it with an adjustable one. The filter will also probably need to be replaced soon. 2-3 days after addition of fish, the ph dropped to 6.0 or below, so last night I added a few sea shells to the tank, plus </= 1/16 teaspoon baking soda. this am, ph is at 6.4. I will be vacuuming the gravel this weekend and changing 10-20% of the h2o, re-checking ph, & making another slight adjustment if needed. Any other advice? Setup was last sunday, with plants, the fish were added tues night. I'm planning to add more fish gradually.

First, welcome to AA. Second, if you are wanting to buffer your ph, a lot of people here will add some crushed coral in a media bag, and place it in their filter.

Back
Top Bottom