New member intro - goldfish keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a forty gallon tank with two fantail and one comet goldfish. The two males are about eight years old and the comet, the female youngster, is about 2 years. They're fairly large, over six inches. I've had several goldfish over the years and have lost some to one thing or another, and nursed many others back to health after common illnesses.

My goldfish spawned unexpectedly this year and I've joined this forum hoping to get some advice on caring for the fry.

I really enjoy my fish, though all the cleaning can be a chore. They're beautiful pets.

Sincerely,
Alaina

Do you plan to move the comet? They get quite large, usually requiring a pond after a while.

I agree with you about goldies. They are my absolute favorites. I finally updated my goldie tank. I had 3 (a red cap oranda, a "baby face" oranda - don't know what they are properly called but its different than the slimmer red cap, and a ryukin) in a 30 gal (but two were babies and not in there for very long) and recently got a 55 gal for my birthday last month. Boy are they happier in that tank! Funny though, that even with all that room, they pretty much just hang out in one side of the tank. I also just got a black moor the other day who is in QT right now. Pretty close to being overstocked, but they get 50% w/c's every week and the tank is overfiltered so Im pretty comfortable with that.

Ive only been keeping goldies for about 3.5 years and, at first at least, I too have had some (too many) goldie deaths. I've had my "baby face" for a year, which is the longest I've been able to keep a goldie. Thankfully I'm learning, but it kills me that fish have had to die for me to learn. But you've had two of yours for EIGHT YEARS! Good job. I know they can potentially live to 10-20 years and that is my goal.

Welcome to AA!

I don't have plans to move the comet...not able to set up a bigger tank right now and don't have a pond she could go into. I actually bought her in a trio of tiny 13-cent "starter" fish when I first set up the 40 gallon aquarium. Two died and she just kept growing and growing. Now she's the biggest fish and hates being separated from the boys when I try to stop the spawning...

My fishies also seem to prefer one side of their tank. They're usually quite companionable - they actually spend long stretches sitting on the gravel in a perfect row, their sides and pectoral fins touching. They look like best buds.

Yes, it is! All in a row, they actually are the header for my blog, where I've been chronicling my adventures in fry.

Welcome Aboard!

Our paired Moors and Panda Fantail are like family and like yours, they are very fond of each other and huddle all the time. They also like to watch TV from time to time :D, now there's an intelligent fish.

Here's a link to my recent fry experience and how I raised them to mini Moors so far (2 months) lol. They're just starting to get their bugeyes. You should be able to find so useful info and feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...y-are-these-eggs-on-the-moss-ball-145754.html

Mr Limpet,

I finally got a chance to look at your threads about your own fry. Very impressed! I have a more hands-off approach to fish-keeping, though I would love to get into aqua-scaping more...I'm on a tight budget and sometimes it's all I can do to buy the essentials, especially now that I'm caring for fry. My apartment is too small for a 40-gallon tank as it is, we'll see where the fry are going to fit...

At about two months, the fry have been moved into their own tank (about 2 gallons) and are growing noticeably. I was excited to notice their tiny dorsal fins growing last week.

Alaina said:
Mr Limpet,

I finally got a chance to look at your threads about your own fry. Very impressed! I have a more hands-off approach to fish-keeping, though I would love to get into aqua-scaping more...I'm on a tight budget and sometimes it's all I can do to buy the essentials, especially now that I'm caring for fry. My apartment is too small for a 40-gallon tank as it is, we'll see where the fry are going to fit...

At about two months, the fry have been moved into their own tank (about 2 gallons) and are growing noticeably. I was excited to notice their tiny dorsal fins growing last week.

Thanks!

It's really cool to wacth then grow up from the egg isn't it? Our fry are getting quite large.

Good luck and pics are great too :D.

Here's a link to their tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/20-gallon-build-moor-babies-movin-on-up-150812.html

Back
Top Bottom