New Member Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to stop by and formally introduce myself. :) I have been getting help in the freshwater unhealthy fish section today, and I am so pleased I found this place in the search engine! I am a brand new fish tank owner. Though I have had a fish or two before, they've always been a single betta in a bowl or a goldfish in a bowl or a tetra in a bowl. So this is my first time owning morning than one and with a tank!

My real name is Heather, but I use Kerrinne as my 'online personality' for almost everything I do. Kerrinne is actually a fictional character in my role playing and writing.

I am a single mother raising a beautiful 3 1/2 year old daughter (with no help from her bum father! LOL). We are embarking on the journey of discovering (or in my case, rediscovering) life together. Butterflies and fish have become our fascinations. So to foster her curiousity and knowledge of nature, I thought fish would be a good thing to have for her to grow up around.

Unfortunately, our losing seven fish in two days has saddened her. But her favorite two are still kicking and thanks to the help of several people here, I think they have a good chance of making it now. At least better than they did this morning!

I have a 10 GAL tank with a HOB filter ::flexes her new terminology knowledge from today:: I will take a picture of it eventually and let everyone have a peek at our world of wonder and joy. Our surviving fish are a single chinese golden algae eater, two silver like bigger tetra (I can't remember the type?), and one glowlight tetra (though I mistakenly called it a neon oooops).

We have some artificial plants, and a little cave in there that my daughter calls the 'fish school'. LOL She doesn't understand why I keep referring to a group of fish as a school. She thinks it's a fish classroom. hehe

Anyway...that's about it. Look forward to meeting folks here and sharing experiences and knowledge!

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

We're sorry for your loss, but glad you found us ;)

Heather.
Welcome to the best fish forum on the net.
I havent been a member for that long but this is the best, most helpfull bunch of people of all the fish forums I've visited.

Anyway, hope you and your little girl enjoy the fishkeeping hobby and have lots of fun :lol:

Thanks all for the nice welcome! :)

Just to give an update on my tank after our trauma last week:

We still have two of the large silver tetras and the golden chinese algae eater left. The fins have stopped eroding, and they are eating and playing well. I keep doing 20% water changes every day because my nitrite levels are in the stress zone. The rest of the tests seems to come out in the normal, neutral or safe range. I'm assuming that I'm in the middle stage of cycling from what I've read on everyone's posts and links.

My daughter loves to help me use the gravel vacuum to clean out the tank, so we make it our project when I get home with her each day. And I feel a bit better considering the amount of money I have invested into the tank that I at least have some inkling of what's going on now thanks to this community.

Much appreciated thanks and blessings to all!

Good job and keep it up!

Should cycle through it, yes. Just keep your eye on it and dont forget to change out the carbon.

Here are 50 kudos for being a super consciencous fish keeper!

Thank you! It's been a real pleasure to sit and watch the fish. I did pick up an extra carbon, because I remember someone posting that I would need one earlier than usual if my tank was cycling. It will be one week old this Friday, so I'm guessing by next Friday maybe I should replace it?

Oh...also, I switched out freeze dried flakes to those little blood worm thingies as I remember reading that tetras like those. They act like they LOVE those! It's almost as though they smile when they're done eating. :)

And after Christmas...I have even been contemplating buying a larger tank. LOL I think I could be hooked. This fish for my daughter might just turn into fish for Mommy instead!

Back
Top Bottom