New member...new aquarium..could use some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I'm new to this site, with a pretty new aquarium, which isnt cycled yet, and could use some assistance..

Basically, started aquarium a little more than 5 weeks ago. Like an idiot, dove right in with fish and all, not realizing the importance of cycling the tank first. Was told by a pet store employee that I could just "add several fish and let them start their biological process, and I'd be fine as long as I made sure to change out the filter regularly"!

Prob needless to say, I lost those first fish...4 neon tetras, and a gourami. The lone survivor was the African dwarf frog... So, was then told to just get more hardy diesel fish, so for over 4 weeks I have had the Frog, 4 danios, and a pleco. Been testing water almost daily with 0-30% water changes also almost daily, ammonia is down, but nitrite is almost 5ppm n nitrate at 20ppm. Anything else I can do besides frequent water changes? And how long do these levels stay high before leveling down to 0?! I really dont want to lose any others...Thanks in advance!!

:welcome: to AA! :)
Water changes and more water changes is all you can do. Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Where your saying your nitrite levels are you need to be doing big water changes like 50% to get it down. Then wait an hour and retest, if its still high than 50% again and so on and so on till its 0. Then just keep up on them daily to keep them at zero. Good luck

Hi!
Thanks for the feedback!! I am using API freshwater master test kit. I read that when using Prime (which I am) the ammonia levels may test false positive? This is not so for nitrite and/or nitrate with this kit, right?

Also, I was under the impression that much more than a 30% water change could disrupt the biological filter process? I'm really new to this, so I apologize for the questioning. Just want to be sure I'm doing best for everyone in the tank...

How long do nitrite and nitrate levels typically stay so high once they've peaked?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

FLgirl said:
Hi!
Thanks for the feedback!! I am using API freshwater master test kit. I read that when using Prime (which I am) the ammonia levels may test false positive? This is not so for nitrite and/or nitrate with this kit, right?

Also, I was under the impression that much more than a 30% water change could disrupt the biological filter process? I'm really new to this, so I apologize for the questioning. Just want to be sure I'm doing best for everyone in the tank...

How long do nitrite and nitrate levels typically stay so high once they've peaked?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Well for the first question I don't use prime so I can't say anything for the first question.

When doing a water change you don't want to do anything but change the water and you'll be fine imo. Don't clean the filters or substrate

It's hard to say on the last question its different for everyone. Bit it could take several weeks.

Thanks so much! Btw- I think I saw your 180 g tank displayed this month on TOTM? Awesome looking set up, just beautiful!! One day I'll get there, hopefully... Baby steps for now.

Thanks again!

FLgirl said:
Thanks so much! Btw- I think I saw your 180 g tank displayed this month on TOTM? Awesome looking set up, just beautiful!! One day I'll get there, hopefully... Baby steps for now.

Thanks again!

No problem and yep that was me and thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom