New member New tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sssteve72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've been here a month or so and haven't posted here yet so here I am !

I'm Steve and I started this fish tank back in June. My wife brought home a 50 gallon hexagon tank from Goodwill that she found for like 25 bucks. Never owning a fish tank before I didn't want to mess with resealing it and to be honest the glass was rather hazy. So it went back.

Anyway I was thinking of a fish tank because for one I wanted something the kids (7 & 4) could participate in. And I thought it would be good entertainment for our cat also !! Poor cat, just can't figure it out yet why she can't get to them.. I put a chair there for her so she could be close.. lol

So this thing is long from being done. But I bought a 36 gallon bowfront and I scored some used gravel from a lady that saw us at Goodwill with the fish tank and wanted to give us a 5 gallon bucket of black gravel. I thought the glofish would interesting for the kids so that is the route we went and they picked out the fish. Got the typical cabinet at the pet store. Yeah I wish I could get a real one, ok I could but I'm not paying that much. If I ever get a bigger tank I will likely make a decent one out of real wood.

My Son picked out a Dalmatian molly, a black molly, a couple green Globarbs and two snails, one yellow and one brown. My daughter picked out about 3 yellow glow Danio's and two red Glo Tetras. I added 3 red glo Danio's. Hopefully I got all those names right.

The girl at the store told me to get a bigger tank than I thought I wanted because everyone always wants a bigger one later. I thought 20gal at first so I settled on the 36gal since I've never owned anything beyond a fish bowl with a betta before. Anyway I'm already thinking 75gal, haha she was right. So probably far far (years) in my future I'm going to shoot for like a 125gallon.

So setting this up, I used about 10 gallons of natural spring water from the grocery store, 20 gallons of regular tap water from where I work, and 6 gallons of our well water. Our well water can be a little murky to me so I didn't want a ton of it. I lightly rinsed the used gravel with nothing more than water and put it in the tank and I added a few decorations. Wanting this to center around glowing decor is difficult as I haven't seen much out there other than some wacky fish tank decor that I don't much care for. I just add some thing when it peaks my interest. Latest is the white Anemone which actually glows nicely and moves quite nicely also. I just ordered a couple more things so those will be going in next week. I want some larger rock and I have a small piece of black volcanic rock in there. I wish I could find a bigger piece but it seems to be a no go without having to shape it which I am not interested in doing (yet). I may go with some white coral type looking rock as that might look pretty decent with the lighting. But I want something that is larger and goes almost to the surface.

About a month after I had this set up I decided to switch out some of the gravel on the left side to black sand. At the same time is when I switched the bulb to the Actinic light to let it glow. The pics below are close but it has a little bit of a purple hue which the pics don't show well. I've been doing about a 5 gallon water change weekly, which I still use about 2 gallons of tap water and 3 gallons well water, all treated with water conditioner. Worse part was when I removed the gravel and added the sand I forgot to shut off the pump... doh!! ya sand in the pump is not a good thing. Sad part was I knew to shut it off and just wasn't thinking.

The black Molly died about 8 weeks into it and a short time later the brown snail died. I didn't think much of it. Last week our yellow snail died. Which I think they were not finding the pellets I was using. I finally got the API master test kit and tested it today.

Ph 7.6
High Ph 8.2 <- not sure I understand why there were two Ph tests??
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Honestly I wasn't sure what all those numbers meant other than I thought the ammonia was high, though not terribly high. I had just done a water change yesterday. I've had this setup about 3 months now. I had let it go two weeks without a water change until yesterday so maybe I needed a bigger water change. Hope you enjoy the pics.

img_3277571_0_b5527f16b3a97c153cc2c57c6da4bd72.jpg
img_3277571_1_acd5b01edc33f1e3dba2a0b1882110ed.jpg

img_3277571_2_241e645303bf552f1350d5f19e0406af.jpg

img_3277571_3_dbd9ce9b2bd2511472d48e826c00b6be.jpg

img_3277571_4_c1946124f61b0141b6650a4ee375f12d.jpg

Hello and welcome. Good group of people on here and you will get lots of help, just ask! [emoji225]

Clem.

Here's a link on ammonia toxicity levels. It's a great guide but if fish are sulking and ammonia is up, I'd do a water change just in case.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

The FW test kit has a normal mid-range test kit and then a separate ph test kit for high ph levels. I can only assume API designed it that way to give the most accurate results. I bought an electronic ph meter as have a hard time with the colours.

Here's a link on ammonia toxicity levels. It's a great guide but if fish are sulking and ammonia is up, I'd do a water change just in case.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

The FW test kit has a normal mid-range test kit and then a separate ph test kit for high ph levels. I can only assume API designed it that way to give the most accurate results. I bought an electronic ph meter as have a hard time with the colours.
Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom