New member to here and the fish world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I want to start off by telling you guys how far I have gotten with my new fish tank and I would like any suggestions that could help me! I'm new to the fish world and I am quickly becoming very interested in this hobby.

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank. I have the heater, filter, light, etc. I have artifical plants and an artifical coral bubbler. All of the things to get started. The first day I filled it with tap water and I treated it with conditioner. I tested it the next day and here are the results I got:

Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 1.0
Hardness: 150
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 300
PH: 8.4

After this I ended up bringing some water to petsmart and they recommended using aquasafe ph Balance. I also did a small water change and used spring water instead of tap. Then I used the pH Balance. The next day I tested it and got this:

Well, as you can see my pH only dripped a little bit. I ended up adding more of the pH Balance (which I realize now was not the best idea). I ended up buying driftwood and I have it soaking now, but I'm going to boil it later for a few hours because I want to get the driftwood in asap.

Now if there is anything that you guys can recommend or advice you can give about maintaining my healthy water levels and maintaining a healthy environment please let me know. I'm willing to learn. I plan on getting fish tomorrow! Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you read about the Nitrogen cycle? It takes about 4-6 weeks to get an aquarium ready for fish.

My signature has a great resource for learning what you really need to know.

If you want to do fish in cycling [where you have fish while the tank is building the necessary BB /beneficial bacteria for a healthy tank] please review these articles before you get fish so you know what you will need to to be prepared

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom