New Newb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Jam-is-on

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! Thanks! Glad to be here!

About a decade ago I had a buddy that worked for Super Petz. He hooked me up with a 30g starter kit and I fell in love. Turbulent times since have left me absent of aquaria although I was never far in spirit. Now married with two children and three dogs and having just celebrated our four year anniversary, my wife decides it was time. I had been commenting monthly over the eight years we have been together that I wanted to set up another tank and as it turns out, our two year old son suddenly starts with the "I wanna fishies mommy."

Needless to say, my excitement began churning and a few weeks ago she comes home with a tank! A dirty little 10g with a small metal frame that she pulled out of a girlfriends garage. I put on a little of my excitement while thinking to myself, "Oh sweet, a QT!". I play along nonetheless while I'm silently awaiting to invoke my plan!

The day finally arrives and we make our way down to the LFS to get what we need to set up the modest little 10g. I couldn't wait. Those of you that are married may understand it a little more and those of you that aren't certainly will at some point. Long story short, we were soon the proud new owners of a 55g starter with all the trimmings and some modest aquascape, FTW!

So here I am cycling the 55 and reading all I can. My LFS guy was nice enough to inform me that I probably needed to just forget what little bit I knew 10 years ago anyway, so I look forward to all the AA I can get!

The Jam-is-on!

Hi and welcome. Many nice folks on here and we are glad you decided to join. You will find knowledgeable and passionate fish keepers too. When you get a chance, please read up on fishless cycling. My buddy Eco23 wrote a very complete article and it was chosen to be posted in the articles section of this forum. Any questions you gave or advice you can offer will be appreciated. Welcome to AA and best of luck to you.

Edit: posted a link to the article in my signature.

Thanks Deckape! That's a great article and it clears up a lot of things. There seems to be an ongoing debate about cycling and I am finding myself on the fishless side.

UNFORTUNATELY, my LFS guy recommended against a fishless cycle and start with 8 Black Skirts to cycle. With much embarassment I am now kicking myself for not researching enough to start with and as a result, I have only two left.

I certainly don't want to kill the remaining two to start a fishless cycle but man I wish I would have done my research ahead of time. I won't make that mistake again.

The Jam-is-on said:
Thanks Deckape! That's a great article and it clears up a lot of things. There seems to be an ongoing debate about cycling and I am finding myself on the fishless side.

UNFORTUNATELY, my LFS guy recommended against a fishless cycle and start with 8 Black Skirts to cycle. With much embarassment I am now kicking myself for not researching enough to start with and as a result, I have only two left.

I certainly don't want to kill the remaining two to start a fishless cycle but man I wish I would have done my research ahead of time. I won't make that mistake again.

You can always return the remaining ones and finish fishless

I haven't thought about that. Wasn't sure if they would take them but I will go and see about that tomorrow for sure.

The Jam-is-on said:
I haven't thought about that. Wasn't sure if they would take them but I will go and see about that tomorrow for sure.

Happy to help

Start doing water changes every other day or so in order to keep the ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm. This will keep the fish alive if the shop won't take them back. If you don't have one, an API Master Liquid Test Kit is a great investment.

I'm getting the API kit this weekend and was planning to start water changes as well. I have been using strips and see first hand how bad they are. My first strip test showed my PH at around 5.5. I took a sample in to the LFS the same day and he showed my PH perfect at around 7.

How do you guys dechlorinate the fresh water for a change? How long do I need to treat it and let it sit? I have two five gallon buckets for use right now but this has perplexed me a bit...

The Jam-is-on said:
I'm getting the API kit this weekend and was planning to start water changes as well. I have been using strips and see first hand how bad they are. My first strip test showed my PH at around 5.5. I took a sample in to the LFS the same day and he showed my PH perfect at around 7.

How do you guys dechlorinate the fresh water for a change? How long do I need to treat it and let it sit? I have two five gallon buckets for use right now but this has perplexed me a bit...

I just treat my tap water with prime water conditioner, by seachem (not required... But it's good stuff!), treat the whole tank, and don't bother to let it sit... The PH will lower eventually, and your fish will adjust fine. (I have 3 black skirts myself! Love those fish!) also, for that size tank, I'd invest in a python water changing system so you don't have to use buckets. Also... You don't have to take the fish out when changing the water... They'll be less stressed if they're in the main tank. If you can, definitely take them back though! Anyhow, welcome to AA!

A couple of things to help. Whether you do a fish in or a fishless cycle, Prime is the best out there right now. If you do a fish in cycle you should also use a stress coat with Aloe Vera of some kind. There are a couple of different ones. I've tried them all and I like the BigAls water conditioner with Aloe the best, but it's up to you and which one you like best.

I did the bucket and siphon thing for 5 years and I hated it. Especially while trying to cycle a tank. I got stuck doing a cycle with a tank full of fish, so sometimes I needed to do 2-3 PWC in a day to keep the Ammonia below .25ppm.
So after my hernia surgery (not kidding) I purchased a water changer. It has made doing PWC a breeze. I can even do a quick PWC in the morning before I need to go somewhere, it's so easy with the water changer.
I bought the Aqueon Water Changer and I love it. There is also one called a Python, I hear people rave about how much they love it. Either one is a good choice, you'll be very glad you got one.
With the water changer you just set the tap water temp to match the tank temp and add the correct amount of Prime to the tank. Prime dechlorinates instantly so it wont hurt the fish to do PWC this way. The stress coat is for when you need to do daily, or more than daily PWC. Or if you add new fish to the tank or if your fish have been battling a bit and have some minor fin damage. It also helps after a case of ick. Once the ick is cured, it often leaves fin, scale and eye damage, the Stress coat/water conditioner helps it all to grow back.
I hope this answers all your questions.
Welcome to AA, it's a great place for all the Aquarium or fish questions you will have. Plus it's a great place to just share what is going on with your fish.

Thanks guys. I was thinking that I needed to dechlorinate the new water for 24 hours or something and kept imagining a bunch of buckets sitting around (I'm slow sometimes)!

I was planning on getting a Python this weekend as well so I'll add stress coat to the mix and get to work. One of the black skirts does have some top fin damage. I thought the bigger one might have been aggressive towards it but it all makes sense now.

Thanks guys. I was thinking that I needed to dechlorinate the new water for 24 hours or something and kept imagining a bunch of buckets sitting around (I'm slow sometimes)!

I was planning on getting a Python this weekend as well so I'll add stress coat to the mix and get to work. One of the black skirts does have some top fin damage. I thought the bigger one might have been aggressive towards it but it all makes sense now.

well if you have fish in there its not the end of the world just the end of your free time lol water changes and lots of them i would change a little bit everyday if you dont have a liquid test kit

Glad to help when I can :dance:.
Don't forget to use Prime, it's the best dechlorinator. At first glance you think, holy .... that's expensive. But 1 little capful is enough for a 50 gallon tank. It only takes 2 drops per gallon compared to the others. It's better to use Prime and a stress coat when doing a fish in cycle. But, if your going to leave out something, you shouldn't but if you do, it's better to leave out the Stress coat and always use Prime

I know its been a while but I wanted to give you guys an update.

I got the API Master Kit, Python, and the invaluable Prime. Right at the 30 day mark I was still showing only Ammonia. Nitrite and Nitrate levels were zero. I took a sample in to my LFS and it tested out the same. It was as if the tank hadn't even begun cycling.

After talking with my guy for a bit, I decided to add some filtration. So in addition to my TopFin 60 that came with the starter kit, I added a Marineland Penguin 350 (rated for 70g so I'm filtering for a rated 130g total). He also talked me in to buying a bacteria supplement (sorry, I forget the name) and since the verdict seems to be 50/50 but most agree that it won't hurt, I went ahead with it. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to weigh in on the results since I added the filtration at the same time, but one or both of them have definitely worked.

So at this point (2 weeks later), my Ammonia is coming down nicely, Nitrite has spiked, and the Nitrates are coming in nicely (from what I can tell)!

I am doing pwc's and treating with Prime every other day now to keep the levels down.

Any thoughts on the filtration? Bacteria Additive?

I have linked a photo in my signature and plan on creating an official journal entry soon.

When it is cycled only add 3 to 4 fish at a time. Good work

Thanks guys!

I think I will look to add 3 or 4 skirt Tetras at first so these two little guys will be more comfortable.

I want to do 1 or 2 Koi Angels after that and then a pair of German Blue OR Bolivian Rams.

Any thoughts on that stocking or other additions?

Thanks guys!

I think I will look to add 3 or 4 skirt Tetras at first so these two little guys will be more comfortable.

I want to do 1 or 2 Koi Angels after that and then a pair of German Blue OR Bolivian Rams.

Any thoughts on that stocking or other additions?

I think that the Black Skirt Tetras and the Angels would be, OK. There may be some bullying from the Angels and if any of them mate, it could get ugly.
However the GBR may find the Angels to aggressive and have problems because of it. GBR's can be difficult to raise, the Bolivians are slightly easier but not easy.

Angels can be unpredictable. I'm finding this out first hand with my new Angel tank. One Angelfish I bought and added at the same time as the others, killed 2 other Angelfish in one day. And nearly killed a third, it still may die it's in very rough shape.

So I put the bully in QT until I can give him back to the FS and then replace the ones he killed. Then if any of those don't get along, I'll have to trade them too. Going round and round until I have 6 Angelfish that like each other.
Adding another species in with the Angelfish will complicate things a lot. So I'm sticking with just the Angels for now.
It's up to you and what you want to do.
IMO Angels do better with just Angels, unless you buy an already matched pair and only have the one matched pair. Then add the BST.
The GBR or the BR I wouldn't put in with Angels.
I'm sure there will be many other opinions.

i'd be more worried about the tetras bullying the angels... i call black skirts pirahnas for a reason lol.

Back
Top Bottom