New Reefer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkhamDave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to aquariums but have always wanted to have one. I am building a 90 gallon tank that I want to be a reef. I have it running now with RO water, have a 90 litre pail ready to recieve 130 lb's of Fiji rock this week and while I am waiting for the rock to cycle, want to look at ways of building great looking reefs. I have read about nylon rods and bolts but haven't found any examples.
How do others do this, are there any warnings or suggestions?

MarkhamDave

Welcome aboard Dave. If I could make a suggestion, Please post your question in the SW forums. More people will see it there and you`ll get better answers.

Usually you use a hammer drill to make holes in the live rock, slip the nylon bolt through, and screw the nut (heh) on each end. Often-times a fibergrating is used in conjunction. In a 90g I do not see the need unless you have tricky rockwork planned.

Welcome to AA !!! We have some really great reef-builders you can get ideas from here...be sure to wear some protective gloves...that Live Rock can get pretty ouchy !!! Good Luck..

i like to do my aquascaping at the fish store. i stack the rocks and get the good looking ones that will also stack right without any necessary connectors. of course...you can make some look really cool if you do use something to hook them.

I have just finnished brushing and moving 120 lbs of Fiji coral. I tried gloves but found they were more bother than they were worth. My hands are really clean now.

Back
Top Bottom