New Saltie here-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cannonman17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, I'm new to the forum here but I like what I see- I thought I knew a lot about saltwater tanks until I came here and started reading fluff stuff...now I realize I know almost nothing... :oops: :lol: Anyways:
I have more hobbies than I can count but only a couple that I have really stuck with over the years, coin collecting, metal detecting, and fish keeping. Kept FW fish for about 15-20 years.. guppies and gold fish up to cichlids and most everything in between. Two years ago moved to saltwater- I'll never go back now. I had lots of time to study the cr@p out of the subject because for years my wife wouldn't let me do it (convert to salt water that is :D ) When I did I had done my research and set up a 29 gallon reef with 150 watt MH, protein skimmer, and another for mechanical/chemical filtration with carbon... cycled the tank with a bunch of nice LR. Added fish and corals and everything has been thriving ever since!!! No deaths of any sort.
Last week bought complete SW FOWLR system (75 gal) complete with everything for two hundred bucks.. proving to be a challenge though because the people who had it didn't know what they were doing now I have to fix their problems before I can turn it into the tank that I want. It will have to remain a FOWLR until all the damsels die off or I trade them away...(anybody want some damsels? will trade!!! I have 8)
I find myself of daydreaming A LOT about being able to start a coral "farm". I can't imagine doing anything more fun and environmentaly healthy! Been looking at government grant money to get started but it's slim pickings out there... probably won't ever happen but I bet it would succeed. When I sell my house and move I will be looking to set up my own miniture coral farm for the time being just to play with some new ideas I have and to hopefully offer some corals for sale for a little less than what they normally go for... and to finance my addiction! Looking forward to talking w/everybody on here and learning a lot more- (oh yeah, forgot to mention I get long winded, sorry) :)

Back
Top Bottom