New Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efzichal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I just joined and I have been reading many of the topics to learn more salt water aquariums. My fiancee bought me a new 29 galloon tank for christmas and I have been trying to set it up.

Have you decided how you are going to cycle your tank yet? :) I've only dealt with saltwater for a year now and just set up my 29g biocube, so it's all recent to me if you have any questions

I cycled the tank for two weeks with live sand and the water testing was perfect. Then I added live rock and cycled for two weeks the water testing shows high phosphate, specific gravity and nitrate. I replaced some water today but only 2 gallons of distilled water - I'm thinking I should do more water exchange?

:) Welcome to the patience tests of salt water!! If you have no true inhabitants I would suggest using a table shrimp, though this process can take upwards of 6 months- my 40g took 2 months to stabilize, and then I had a mini cycle when I added my green spotted puffer, got stuck in phosphate. What type of salt mix are you using? Are you wanting a Fish Only With Live Rock (aka FOWLR) or are you interested in corals and reef?

I am using Instant ocean for my salt mix. I would love to do corals and invertebrates but aren't those harder than fish to take care of? I thought it would be easier to start with fish and move to corals/invertebrates. If this thinking is wrong I will probably start with corals then. I will have to get my nitrates and phosphate corrected prior to adding anything though?

After my replacement if 2 gallons my nitrate has dropped to 20ppm, phosphate to 0 and Specific gravity to 1.025. My pH has remained the same after adding some pH buffer. Added more today

Back
Top Bottom