New Saltwater tank - not quite there yet ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irontwr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ham Lake, MN 20 mile north of Minneapolis
Hello and thanks to any who reply;
I have a 90 gal saltwater tank, setup about 5 months ago. Have had 6 or 7 fish so, currently 2 clown fish just purchased. Various reasons for the lack of success, I think. But the only thing I can measure is nitrate levels around 40 ppm.

i measure Temp F - ~78
pH = 8.3 now, seems well buffered, has been low for first 3 or 4 months
Ammonia = 0 pmm, did go high and several fish died.
Nitrite - 0 pmm, did go high same as above
Phosphate = 0 ppm, was high, added phosphate remover to canister filter. Has helped with algae.
Problem I can see:
Nitrate = 20 - 40 ppm, pretty consistent. I have installed a nitrate reactor, homemade. 3" piece of pvc pipe 8 " long, 8 oz of Seachem De-Nitrate stone, small pump, actually only doing about 10 -12 gph. On line two weeks, seemed to help a little first week, this week, not sure. i think the Nitrate level has risen again tfor 20 ppm o the 40 ppm range again.

Gun shy at buying anymore fish until I think I have water quality where it needs to be.

Any help, suggestion appreciated. Major question is what should i be doing, working on to support life in my new aquarium.

Irontwr :confused:

Thats your problem right there. I would be taking out 20g every week or more every two weeks at maximum. The only way to export nitrates is through plants and water changes.

Up your water change amount and frequency and i guarantee you'll see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom