New so be gentle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevieduk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya, I joined yesterday, just getting back into the marines again, ( fish not army ) , used to keep marines 39 yrs ago, when everything was in its infancy, now there is so much technology to make it so easy . Anyway what I would like to know , if anyone can help is , when you set up a sump filter , does it have to be lit , or have daylight getting to it, I would like to have one in the cabinate under my tank but it has doors on it, so I would have to put a light inside if it needs light. can anybody help ??

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

If you have a refugium in your sump then yes you will need light bit otherwise no light needed. :)

iT's typically between the input compartment and return pump compartment. You keep macro algae, sand and live rock in it. :) It can help with algae and nitrates in a reef tank. The macro algae absorbs the nutrients from the water that otherwise would be growing algae in your main tank and also consumes nitrates in the process.

To what end do you want to move water 3 feet? As a return pump or maybe a water changing pump? In either instance I don't think a powerhead is gonna cut it.

ok well thanks, you see i have my tank on a large cabinate with a cupboard underneath which would easily take a 3 foot tank inside it, I thought i might make that into a sump filter but obviously need a pump to send it back up again. thats why i wanted to know about lighting it cos the doors would be shut but thought today i could have L E D 's in there so no heat and hardly any running costs

Back
Top Bottom