New Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoobfoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! Greetings from Richmond, Virginia, USA. New member, new to the hobby, just got into it in July.

I've just finished cycling my new 36 gallon freshwater planted tank and am planning on transferring my fish to their new home tomorrow (they are in an 18 gallon right now). Just wanted to show it off :) (water is a little cloudy in the pic, I have since done a water change)

I have:
6 bloodfin tetras
3 panda corys
1 zebra nerite snail

Once everyone settles I was thinking about getting two baby angelfish to add to the community, but other suggestions are welcome. Also, any ideas of what I can do with the empty 18 gallon tank?

Attachments

• IMG_4496.jpg
    IMG_4496.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 64
IMG_4511.JPG

Added fish and snail and driftwood, and moved branches for better stability. I'm in love with it, I'm quite proud of it so far. The fish are swimming happily and their colors even seem more vibrant (could also be the upgraded lighting, haha).

Water is still cloudy though even after a 20% water change.

Ribbon plants are not aquatic. Will probably melt badly at some point.

Ribbon plants are not aquatic. Will probably melt badly at some point.

Are those the plants on the left side with the white edges? Because I had them in my other tank and they've survived a long time. Not exactly flourished, but they were in very low light conditions before.

Are those the plants on the left side with the white edges? Because I had them in my other tank and they've survived a long time. Not exactly flourished, but they were in very low light conditions before.
Yes the verigated plants. What was a long time? I suppose its possible. I know ive seen them in the tubes at fish stores.

Id leave them they are there but if it goes south its the plant not you or the tank.

Yes the verigated plants. What was a long time? I suppose its possible. I know ive seen them in the tubes at fish stores.

Id leave them they are there but if it goes south its the plant not you or the tank.

I believe they were the first ones I purchased, so about 5-6 months in my first tank. Yes I got them in a tube from PetSmart. How misleading. Thanks for the heads up, though! I like how they look, but like I said, they haven't grown much (their root systems are puny even with the fertilizer tabs I used) and they also just don't quite match the rest of the flora, so if they do start to go downhill I may remove them and replant them in a more appropriate environment.

I like to add a dark background to my tanks. The plants and fish look more dramatic and I think the fish feel more secure.

+1 on the Ribbon plants.

Your tall stems, you can trim and replant to create more plants.

Looking good.

I like to add a dark background to my tanks. The plants and fish look more dramatic and I think the fish feel more secure.

+1 on the Ribbon plants.

Your tall stems, you can trim and replant to create more plants.

Looking good.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, the next purchase is definitely a background. It looks so cheesy with the wall showing through, haha!

The tall stem plant is actually fake. I bought it to fill up some space in the top half of the tank since it was so empty. Stem plants are another purchase in the very near future! Any suggestions as to what would look nice?

Thanks for the advice! Yes, the next purchase is definitely a background. It looks so cheesy with the wall showing through, haha!

The tall stem plant is actually fake. I bought it to fill up some space in the top half of the tank since it was so empty. Stem plants are another purchase in the very near future! Any suggestions as to what would look nice?

I've used a black sheet, a towel, black plastic all kinds of things. I tried the printed scene, but decided against it quickly.

IMG_2620.jpg this was wrapped with a black plastic garbage bag, because I couldn't get a good pic with the light colored wall behind the tank LOL.

I'm growing L aromatica.

But Ludwigias are pretty easy. Bacopas as well.

Crypt balansae is a fave of mine.

I've used a black sheet, a towel, black plastic all kinds of things. I tried the printed scene, but decided against it quickly.

View attachment 292248 this was wrapped with a black plastic garbage bag, because I couldn't get a good pic with the light colored wall behind the tank LOL.

I'm growing L aromatica.

But Ludwigias are pretty easy. Bacopas as well.

Crypt balansae is a fave of mine.

A garbage bag?! I love it! Haha. Whatever works! I may try that instead of going out and buying one (I don't think any of the background rolls I've seen for sale would fit my tank properly anyway).

Crypt balansae is very pretty; I personally think it makes more sense for fish to be able to hide among leaves rather than stems. I'd like to have more stem plants though since they seem to fill the vertical space better rather than growing wide and bushy, which I have (or will have) covered by what is planted so far. A plant similar to the fake one I have would be visually ideal for me!

My choice is black foam poster board and circular velcro on corners. I think I spent 5.00

I just painted my Planted tank. Wished I'd done it sooner. Much nicer than the black trash bag that was taped to the tank for over 3 years.
OP - You should check out the James River Aquarium Society. Great way to get involved with local hobbyists. You can get m access to things your LFS may not carry.

Coursair- What is the fish in your photo with the red streak? Is it a tetra? I've been rethinking about getting the angelfish and would like some more tetras that have red in them like my bloodfins.

Fresh- I thought about just painting it! Seems like much less hassle. The fumes may cause a problem though to a tank that already has fish in it? And thanks so much for the info! I've looked them up and their website itself is a wealth of information and resources. I will definitely attend some of their meetings.

The fish in question appears to be a rose line shark or Denison barb.
I used black matte acrylic paint and a foam brush. For my 20 g long, it took 5-6 coats with a drying time of 30-45 min per coat. I love the result. Really no fumes to worry about. I did run a fan between coats. You just need to give yourself enough room to work behind the tank and tape off the sides. I was not too concerned about paint getting onto the rim.
I've attended several PVAS meetings (Potomac Vally Aquarium Society) and JRAS is occasionally mentioned.

Acrylic paint can be removed with rubbing alcohol if you ever decide you want to remove the paint.

Petsmart has 2 types of plants in tubes. Aquatic and Semi aquatic. Look for needle or narrow leaf Java Fern. You attach it to rocks or driftwood with string. It doesn't like being buried. It grows well in low light and gets some height too. IMG_1482632097.617759.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom