New tank 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nozwdh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I cycle my tank for a month and bought a new African cichlids and three cat fish, they we all fine until today that I bought two parrot, one of the parrot died right away and it seems like after a few hours all my fish where going up for air! Why is this happening?

Nozwdh said:
I cycle my tank for a month and bought a new African cichlids and three cat fish, they we all fine until today that I bought two parrot, one of the parrot died right away and it seems like after a few hours all my fish where going up for air! Why is this happening?

:welcome: to AA!
Old world and new world Cichlids don't get along to well. Parrots have deformed mouths to where they can't fight back with mbuna. Old worlds are hyper aggressive and should only be stocked with old worlds. Here is an article to help about stocking.

Whats your tank test?
What's the temp.?
Make a lot of surface movement by aiming power heads or canister filter out tube up. Or buy lowering the water so a hob filter will splash a little and make movement.

The heavy breathing is more than likely if not water perimeters stress from one another.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Thanks I read the article and it helps! How often can I recycle my water in the tank? It's cloudy but remember I have cichlids!

Nozwdh said:
Thanks I read the article and it helps! How often can I recycle my water in the tank? It's cloudy but remember I have cichlids!

How's the water test?
How did you cycle?

50% water changes weekly should do the trick. They need a high quality cichlid food such as nls or hikari. After you feed it may get a little cloudy but it should clear up pretty fast. How's the filtration? You'll need to WAY over filter

I have a fluva 306, I have two drift wood and two med size coral! Do I need a air pump?

Nope but I'd look into getting another filter. You should be doing like 8-10 times the gph of your tank size, your doing I think with that filter 5 times. I would just get a hob filter like the aqua clears

You saying that my filter is not doing the job? I am confuse. By air pump I mean putting air bobbles inside the tank

Air bubbles don't really do anything but create a current at the surface of the water. So yes that would help but you can do the same thing with a filter. Id go the filter route if it was me cause you can do that plus add a little more filtration and more is always better. :)

Last edited:
Ok thank you! You seem to know what u talking about! What size tank u have?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom