New tank - dead fish- HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeLee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:( We set up a new tank in the last week or so....let it sit for several days after setting up and putting the dechlorinator in it. Took a water sample into Petsmart on Tues eve. She said water was good and ready for fish. Sold us 3 platys and a snail (which we had read you are supposed to wait - but, she sounded so sure that it was fine). Last night (during the night) 2 of the platys and the snail died. The last one is alive but seems a bit sluggish.

Should we try putting a different kind in? - Perhaps Cherry Barbs to start? how soon?

IMO several days isn't long enough. The tank has ammonia in it from tap water. The tank needs to "cycle" to allow bacteria to neutralize those chemicals. There is a thread that would be more help than me. Also buy a teat kit. API master freshwater kit is the one mostly used around here. Sorry about tour fish. :(

Don't put any more fish in until your cycle is complete. Read this.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Welcome to AA. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your fish, it's happened to us before. Definitely follow the instructions from the other members. I'd consider doing a PWC right away, at least 50% .. if you haven't already.

In addition, how big is the tank, and what type of filter are your running?
That information is important so we can help you further.

Oh ... and whatever Petsmart / Petco tells you, do the opposite ... literally. Or better yet, come to AA first. Many many years of knowledge,experience and expertise available to your here.

Keep us posted!

Also what water conditioner are you using? Prime is my recommendation as well as the other members on here. You should get some and dose immediately.

Welcome to AA! Here, check out the link in my signature on fishless cycling, and see if they'll let you take the live fish back. that way you can add fish without so many water changes lol.

We did the same. Set the tank up. A week later added a small number of fish after checking the water. Then 3 weeks later once the filter kick started and water tests were good once again we got two more.

I didn't know about fishless cycling beforehand. It seems the best way to go though.
Fish cycling can be a dangerous game if your filter doesn't kick in and start to remove the ammonia.
We were lucky.
Very sorry about your fish. Hope the cycling goes well.

Back
Top Bottom