New Tank Junkie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tharge26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

Freshwater 30 gallon.
4 mollies
4 plattys
4 ghost shrimp
4 white skirt tetra (dyed)
1 golden dojo
1 pleco
4 cory albino
artificial plants/cave/treestump hidey place
1/2 sand and 1/2 gravel substrate

marineland hidden LED with day/moonlight settings
aquaon quite flow 55/70 filter
bubble wand across back of tank

Thanks for all the tips I've found on this site so far. Anyone notices anywhere I can improve from above description please let me know.

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Freshwater 30 gallon.
4 mollies
4 plattys
4 ghost shrimp
4 white skirt tetra (dyed)
1 golden dojo
1 pleco
artificial plants/cave/treestump hidey place
1/2 sand and 1/2 gravel substrate

marineland hidden LED with day/moonlight settings
aquaon quite flow 55/70 filter
bubble wand across back of tank

Thanks for all the tips I've found on this site so far. Anyone notices anywhere I can improve from above description please let me know.

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

If that's a common pleco it needs to be returned or re homed. They grow to be around ( and I think maybe even longer) 2 feet. Not sure on he dojo as I've never had any. Everything else looks fine. Do you know about cycling a tank?

thanks for the advice. I've had a 10 gallon for a year and upgraded to this one. Did a complete Fish-less cycle before putting my old fish in for 2 weeks then waited before putting in the others.

I was wondering how big the pleco would get, I think it is a common one (black)? He is currently only 3 inches long. When he gets too big for the tank I was thinking about just bringing him back to LFS and either replacing with pleco or getting another dojo. How big is too big for 30 gallon with current bioload?

thanks for the advice. I've had a 10 gallon for a year and upgraded to this one. Did a complete Fish-less cycle before putting my old fish in for 2 weeks then waited before putting in the others.

I was wondering how big the pleco would get, I think it is a common one (black)? He is currently only 3 inches long. When he gets too big for the tank I was thinking about just bringing him back to LFS and either replacing with pleco or getting another dojo. How big is too big for 30 gallon with current bioload?

You would be better off to go ahead and take him back asap. Look into bristlenose pleco's, they only grow to 4-5inches. Its not only the matter of the pleco outgrowing the tank, it's the risk of the pleco's growth being stunted. If I remember correctly I think a full grown pleco needs atleast 150g tank. If any fish is in a tank that isn't suitable for its adult max size basically what happens is the physical appearance of the fish itself won't grow if it doesn't that the proper room, but it's intestines and organs continue to grow... Not very pleasant.

Yikes! I'm not sure if it is a common one or not. I'll research it and find out.

If you get us a picture of it we could probably tell you

Back
Top Bottom