new to any kind of forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogmusher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started with a 30 gal established tank with everything you would need for startup. As time has gone by I've acquired a 60 gal tank and I'm still working with this tank, I started with a full substrate of gravel and a week ago took out both sides of gravel and replaced this with black sand without doing any research. Planted hairgrass as I like the movement in the currents. One of the questions I have is prior of putting sand should I have put a bottom layer of flourite or other type of enriched substrate? I've picked up more plants as this 60 gallon tank has only real plants in it. I used rubber cove base from Home Depot to seperate my gravel from the sand and will keep all of the roots from spreading into the gravel. My next tank will be a much larger one (if wife will let me) for a discus tank. Really enjoy this hobby and it has a very calming effect on our home.:)

Since you used sand, which is inert, you will need root tabs for the root feeders. You don't need a nutrient rich sub if you use root tabs.

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

You can go pretty involved in doing a planted tank with lots of additives like an Takashi Amano - ADA style tank or use root tabs like the majority do. As you learn you can decide how to set up your tanks, but most people use sand after awhile as it looks great and has some advantages.

If you want to do some reading there are plenty of articles, in that section of the forum.

You took out your gravel so you could experience a mini cycle if your tank was already cycled. I would recommend to feed the fish lightly for a week or so and do plenty of pwc and use a liquid test kit to verify you have good water parameters.

I love discus too but am looking for a bigger tank for that project.

Just let us know how we can help and read, read, read!!!

Welcome! As mentioned, root tabs are helpful. Mebbid, a member here at AA, has a nice DIY root tab thread you should have a look at.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom