New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good! Like homedog said... just keep an eye on it. You will be through the cycle in a couple weeks... the fact that you are already seeing some nitrite is a very good sign.

Remember, anything about 0.25ppm (ammonia or nitrites) means a PWC is in order. Nitrates are safe up to about 20-40 ppm.

Right on! I'm bummed that I'm out of town on business this week. I'll be doing a PWC on Sat... BTW Mrs says the kids are doing great!

Testing just a few minutes after you do a water change will be fine. As soon as the new water added mixes well with water in the tank, you can start looking for results. If you have 1.0ppm ammonia in your tank, and you do a 50% PWC, the new ammonia level will be 0.5ppm (unless you have ammonia in your tap water).

Eeesh, Been 4 days since I tested. After a 25% PWC
Ammonia is .25
Rites are .20
RAtes are 2.5

I think I'll do another one tomorrow...

Good idea Joe. You are getting there. Results are looking better and better. Another change will knock down the ammonia and 'ites a bit more, which will be good.

Noticing the water is a bit cloudy today. I've been on top of my upkeep, is this normal? Should I add some of that De-clouder stuff? More PWC's?

Is it white in color, or green, or brown?

If it is white, is a bacteria bloom, and is perfectly normal in newly established aquariums. Just stay on top of your PWCs as normal in response to ammonia and nitrite. The cloudiness will subside in a few days. I would not recommend wasting your money on the chemicals. This will run its course of its own volition. Chemical additives to fix problems are rarely the best solution.

If it is green or brown in color, than the problem is something else entirely. If you cannot tell for sure what color the cloudiness is, you can stick some tank water in a clear glass and set it on top of some white paper. Look straight down on it, and you will be able to tell the color for sure. I am betting it is white/bacterial though since the tank is new.

Yes, it is White cloudy. Noticed it after my last PWC. Will the Bacteria bloom spike my Ammonia and Nitrites? Does this mean my Cycle is almost done?

It will not cause any additional spike in ammonia. You could see the nitrites start to climb higher in the next few days. It is an indication that your cycle is progressing... whether it is almost done I cannot answer... because of all the factors involved, it is really hard to say just how long a cycle will take. I have seen tanks cycle in 2 weeks, and I have seen tanks take 2 months.

What are you water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) testing out at today?

Awesome! Any recommendations on cool Bottom fish?
The Neons and Platties Got the middle covered and guppies take care of the top, just not sure about bottom fish. Also I plan on getting a mystery snail and a few ghost shrimp.

Joe,
Can you list your current stock? It is a 20gal tank right? That will help with recommendations on what else to add. Obviously, you don't want to add anything else at this point, until the cycle is complete.

Right.

Yes, 20gal tank
Currently:
platties X2
Neons X5

Thinking of adding:
Guppies X3
Mystery Snail X1
Ghost Shrimp X2
Bottom fish X3????

Ok... cories would be an ok choice. They stay pretty small. I have never had them, I am sure someone can give further advice on them.

You can add a few more ghost shrimp... they add almost no bioload and with 2, you would never see 'em. I think 10 would be a good number.

Other than that, looks like you should be good.

Cories are GREAT! They are amicable, and love all other fish. Three of them would work fine, but four would be even better!

Back
Top Bottom