New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neons are usually not a good choice for a newly established tank. They are very sensitive to water quality. I suspect that is your issue. Cardinals are even more sensitive and I wouldn't recommend them for a first fish.

Zebra danios are good for cycling tanks. But it's cruel to do it to any fish and I wouldn't suggest replacing anybody.

The tank is cycled already.

Sorry Joe, what size tank is it again?

Also, neons could work out ok... but like I said they are sensitive. It could come down to acclimation and how you add them to the tank.

20gal tank.
I put the bag in the tank for about 35min, then drained about half the water, added tank water, waited another 30 min, drained half the water and repeated the process.

Btw I recently learned about drip acclimation...

Would think that is sufficient acclimation. You may try a drip next time. It is possible you got a bad batch of neons. That is not uncommon.

Well 2 of the the tank ones started nipping at each other as soon as they saw the new ones. Today 2 new ones are dead. It is quite evident that they were partially eaten on their bellies. The remaining one seems to be jiving with the other 4.

Today went an aquarium store and started talking about my new tank, they all had the same reaction when I told them I have been doing PWC's several times a week! They ALL said it was slowing the cycle down and I should have never touched the water!!! Also they tested my H2O with an API kit and it showed Ammonia, when I got home I tested my H20 immediately and it showed the Amm was fine! Somethings very fishy!!!

Performing PWCs will not slow a cycle... they are wrong. Nitrifying bacteria do not float around in the water... they live on surfaces, especially the biological media in your filter. It is a common misconception in the industry that PWCs will stall a cycle, that you cannot change large amounts of water at the same time, etc. They are all false. They are perpetuated among many employees who have never actually cycled a tank. A lot of fish stores all run off the same central filtration, so there is no need to cycle a "new tank". You won't find many people who have been maintaining their OWN tanks for many many years who would come close to agreeing with those misconceptions. I myself keep some of the most sensitive freshwater animals you can keep, and change the water at least 50% once a week, and often more than that. It is a small tank... so if the water changes were bad, they would effect the tank very quickly being that it is minimal volume. The science says so long as the water you are adding is ok (dechlorinated, does not contain excessive TDS, ammonia, or PO4) then changing it often is the healthiest thing you can do.

The ammonia is an issue. Are you both using API liquid test kits?

Yes, the same kits. Although they kinda sloppily did the tests (ie holding finger on the cap when shaking) also, they used a syringe thing which made me think that it could be contaminated.
All of the tanks in the place are individual ones. They were recommending some bacteria stuff to put in the tank, and as you know I'm doing my darnedest not to put anything in. A few tanks were being "Medicated"
Either way I am going to hold off on getting any more fish for another few weeks. Although this hobby has been fun it's becoming increasingly frustrating. Seems just having a tank for a long time is the ONLY way to truly understand how it all works...

There is a lot of misinformation and conflicting guidance out there. It will all get easier, trust me. As your tank gets established, things will work a lot better. New tanks are frustrating, and that is why so many leave the hobby quickly.

I should find a new hobby like drinking! lol

Nah come this far, and AA has made it easier, prob cuz nobody here is trying to sell you something!

Do you think putting live plants in is the way to go before introducing new fish??

Completely up to you on the plants. It isn't going to provide any massive benefit either way... especially lower light plants. They do suck up ammonia and nitrate, but not at a dramatic rate, especially if they are slow growers like most lower light plants are.

Update. Decided to keep away from live plants for now. I'm realizing my first tank purchased was just that, a beginner tank. So My 2 platties are happy as are the 4 neons. Just added 2 Emerald Corys, all looks well as far as all the kids getting along. I added some more faux plants to give everyone a little hiding quiet time. I think this will be it as for adding any more fish. Gonna throw some ghost shrimp and a snail eventually...

Will do! Have a bit of the cloudiness going on again. Should I wait it out? Will using a declouder help without messing things up??

It might help... but I personally wouldnt add it. Not a fan of chemical treatments like that. I would give it a few days. If it becomes an ongoing issue, rather than using those binding agents that "clear" the water, I would look at running some purigen in your filter instead.

Back
Top Bottom