New to Aquariums!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeJus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I'm Jus, I'm and active duty US Marine stationed in SoCal. For a long time I've been intrigued about aquariums so I finally purchased one! I got a Fluval Spec V and have decided to do a planted freshwater aquarium since I'm a beginner and got intimidated by all that intails keeping a healthy saltwater tank. I do hope to have a saltwater tank in the future though.

So far I purchased a heater that keeps the tank at 78*F, and added bacteria and conditioner to the water. I also added the rocks, driftwood, Marimo moss ball, and a plant. The water has been cycling for about a week now. Where do I go from here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 65
Welcome to the forum ?

How are you cycling the tank?

You could probably do with a few more plants. Also don't be surprised if they don't flourish in your current set up. Plants need light, carbon and nutrients to grow well and the stronger the light the more of the other two are required. This poses a problem for submerged plants because obtaining enough carbon is a huge challenge underwater. Sometimes people are able to grow plants without adding additional forms of carbon, especially if the light intensity is low but others are not. Bare that in mind for now

Looks like you have some fast growers, hygrophila defformis and hygrophila polysperma? Try allowing good gas exchange by using the filter to disturbed the water surface slightly. This should allow a small but steady supply of carbon in to the water as well as good oxygen levels which are very important for the ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Caliban07 offers good advice. I'll only add that you've bought a good starter tank in the Spec V. Just don't add too many fish too soon: that size isn't meant to support a lot of fish. :nono:

That aside, welcome to AqAd! :welcome:

Caliban, I'm just cycling it by letting it run through the filter for a few days, and also that I added the bacteria and conditioner.

I want more plants but the one store I went to didn't have many others that caught my eye, I'll be going to another one tomorrow hopefully.

Is there a specific time I should run the day and/or night lights to jump start everything and get the tank going faster?

I was thinking about trying to make a DIY CO2 system? Or should I just buy one?

Also, how could I disturb the water surface with the filter? Just point it upward?

You may need to look up fishless cycling or fish in cycling. Unfortunately cycling is not as simple as what you are suggesting.

I would hang far in co2 at the moment and just observe the plants.

Yes you can just aim the outlet towards the surface. Try to find a happy medium were their is food agitation that is not annoyingly loud.

No problem..

Looks like I've got to learn, haha

Welcome, and thanks for your service to the greatest country in existence! We have a son who just got out of the Marine Corps, a son in the Navy, and a daughter in the Air Force. Not sure where this old Army man went wrong in raising my kids. *Sigh*

cool looking tank. i think more plants would look nice as well. cant wait to see how it turns out

Yes, thank you so much for your service of protecting our wonderful country and keeping it safe for me and my precious family, and my fellow countrymen and women! God bless you!

Back
Top Bottom