new to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntravis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my wife and I decided to get a fish tank and now we are just narrowing down the choices of tanks. I really despise most of the "bargain" stands that come as kits with decent tanks, so I am looking at making my own. I'm an avid woodworker and do some metal working as well (have my own welder, grinder, etc.) so the biggest problem is finding time and a nice design. If anyone has pictures of something you made, I would love to see the finished pics. We are currently looking at a Marineland 40gal tall for about $60 new since it is being discontinued, and should provide plenty of room for fish, some rocks, and a few plants. I just found this site last night and really like it already. Any feedback would be appreciated on stand designs.

Thanks
Travis

I don't have a stand design for you but you would be better off with the tank being longer rather then higher

Hi Travis, I made my stand with 4X4 legs, and 2X4's for brace. With screws. I have a 75 gallon tank. Got a very good deal on the site "Letgo". Anyways, it didn't come with a stand. So I knew how I wanted to make it, but I didn't have the wood I wanted to go around the frame "base". I got lucky found some Florida cedar at a yard sale for $2 a board. Long story short, wood is gorgeous if it's done right. Hope mine will give you some thoughts. It has pull off doors in front, you wouldn't know it. And welcome to the Community Tank. ?IMAG1867.jpgIMAG1637.jpgIMAG1621.jpgIMAG1617.jpg

Thanks for the picture of your stand. I really like the look of cedar. I was actually thinking of a similar design as it seems very popular on here. construction lumber frame, then cover with nicer wood, seems like a good way to do it. Still waiting on the prettier half to decide what she wants though.

Another thought is to modify a nice dresser. Take the drawers out add some doors or a door. I know as a woman myself, when you see it then you know if you like it. Old dresser are gorgeous, and strong made of real wood. Might even save you some time. I love woodworking. So it's alittle easier for me. Even an old desk, things like that. Get her thinking. ? good luck to ya's.

Back
Top Bottom