new to fish world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just started first fish tank two weeks ago. having trouble with my ammonia levels. Thought this is a good place to get some help and maybe so advice on what to do.

Welcome to AA. This is the best place for advice. What questions do you have?
I am not sure what else to do to get my ammonia level down. Just started my tank two weeks ago. I have two blood fin tetras i lost my molly last week. I have tried water changes. Everything else is fine.Can you give me any suggestions?

I am not sure what else to do to get my ammonia level down. Just started my tank two weeks ago. I have two blood fin tetras i lost my molly last week. I have tried water changes. Everything else is fine.Can you give me any suggestions?

First thing I recommend is you read the link below on fish in cycle ... since your tank is new, it's not established meaning the Beneficial bacteria have not set in yet. How are you testing the ammonia? We recommend you get the API test master kit ... test strips are notoriously unreliable. We also recommend you get a bottle of Seachem Prime ... it helps detoxify ammonia and nitrites for up to 24+ hrs.

Second ..how often are you feeding the fish and how much? Excess food can breakdown into ammonia + your tap water (if your PWC source) can also have some ammonia. Fish can be fed once a day and you can skip a day or two in the week. That will help control excess ammo from uneaten food and fish waste.

Third ... fish poo will also lead to ammo buildup ... but regulating feeding should control this. If you haven't already, get a gravel vac and do some vacuuming of the substrate when you do your PWC's. You can do part of the gravel at the time with each PWC.

Continue with the PWC's, read up on the link and that should help control any ammonia buildup. Keep us updated.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

welcome to AA:)if you dont already have one,i suggest getting an API freshwater master test kit and moniter your levels closely.you are fish in cycling,so lots and lots pf water changes are in order

edit:me and jcolon posted at the same time

Back
Top Bottom