New to fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my tank about 6 weeks ago. More or less on a whim.

We were at the pet store and I was amazed at how much my 9 yr old son new about the fish. My parents had a huge tank when I was growing up, so I figured why not!

Bought a 37 gallon tank.

There is a lot more to this than I anticipated. I'm learning. I'm enjoying it but I've gone through a few fish already. I did not realize how important the cycle is. I stopped buying fish a while ago. Lost my 8 neon tetras. I have a blue gourami and 2 platys.

I believe my tank is stabilizing and I'm looking forward to trying again the next week or two. pH looks good . . . just trying to get the nitrates down. The gourami seems fine. One of the Platys seems lethargic. I'm hoping he gets better. He doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I've since set up a 20 gallon tank. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I do want it to cycle and get the water readings on par with the other tank.

Right now I'm using the API Test Strips and taking a sample to the pet store once in a while. Once I'm satisfied with the readings, I'll get into a different/better water test.

Back
Top Bottom